Re: Renaming 'target' and handling "inner" matches

From: Norman Walsh <ndw@nwalsh.com>
Date: Sun, 29 Apr 2007 18:03:39 -0400
To: public-xml-processing-model-wg@w3.org
/ "Alex Milowski" <alex@milowski.org> was heard to say:
| Yes, I suppose.  Since matches are performed on the input document and
| the insertion is place in the output, it can't happen anyway.

Right. But given we've said nesting continues inside, I think a user
could imagine that somehow it would.

| |  * p:rename - Renaming an element doesn't affect its child.
|>
|> So nested elements are all renamed?
|
| Yes.
|
| |  * p:unwrap - Removing an element wrapper doesn't affect its children.
|>
|> So nested elements are also unwrapped?
|
| Yes.
|
| |  * p:wrap - Added an element wrapper doesn't affect its children.
|>
|> So nested elements are also wrapped?
|
| Yes.
|
| We could also add a "no-nested-matches" option that turns off processing
| of nested matches.  A value of 'true' wouldn't process inner matches.

Personally, I'd rather not overload the interpretation of expressions.
If you don't want to nest, make sure your pattern doesn't

Norman Walsh <ndw@nwalsh.com> | The things we have most longed for do
http://nwalsh.com/            | not happen; or if they do, it is never