Re: Microcomponents, match and select

From: Jeni Tennison <jeni@jenitennison.com>
Date: Fri, 27 Apr 2007 08:11:16 +0100
To: public-xml-processing-model-wg <public-xml-processing-model-wg@w3.org>

Grosso, Paul wrote:
> Jeni Tennison wrote:
>> There are some components that must take a select expression because
>> they contain XPaths that must be evaluated relative to the
>> context node.
>>
>> . . .
>>
>> This argues (fairly strongly, I think) for defining options
>> as patterns rather than expressions.
>
> What am I missing?

I think you're missing the "In other cases," at the beginning of the
third paragraph.

To summarise:

1. Options that return values other than nodes must be expressions.
2. Options that identify nodes relative to a non-document context node
must be expressions.
3. Other options should be patterns.

For example, the 'replace' option on p:string-replace has to be an
expression both because it returns a string and because it is evaluated
relative to the node whose value is being replaced. But the option that
identifies the nodes whose values should be replaced should be a pattern
(and therefore called match).

Jeni
--
Jeni Tennison