Re: XSLT non-XML output

From: Jeni Tennison <jeni@jenitennison.com>
Date: Tue, 24 Apr 2007 19:33:49 +0100
To: public-xml-processing-model-wg@w3.org

Norman Walsh wrote:
> / Jeni Tennison <jeni@jenitennison.com> was heard to say:
> | I think we *should* support text output as well, in exactly the same
> | way, although this would require us to support documents that aren't
> | well-formed XML documents (since they don't have a document element)
> | flowing through the pipeline. If we don't want to go there, a minor
> | change to the stylesheets producing text (adding a document element)
> | will make them amenable to this processing. I don't view this as
> | particularly burdensome for users.
>
> We could add an option to our xslt components that specifies the
> content should be wrapped with c:document. That would have the effect
> of making text output valid XML.
>
> I don't know if the wrapper should be conditional on the output method
> being text or not. I'm inclined to say not.

Introducing a means of adding a wrapper element is a good idea,
especially because it also provides a way of managing stylesheets that
produce non-well-formed XML because they have multiple element children,
or text children, of the document node.

Any particular reason to fix its name to <c:document>, or could the
wrapper element name be supplied as an option?

Jeni
--
Jeni Tennison
http://www.jenitennison.com