Re: XSLT non-XML output (was: standard components edits)

Mohamed,

Innovimax SARL wrote:
> On 4/17/07, Jeni Tennison <jeni@jenitennison.com> wrote:
>> IMO, the result of an XSLT transformation is always a (sequence of)
>> documents (node trees). It's only when they're serialised (a separate
>> step, with no output) that you might get a text or HTML document.
>
> But are we going to tell to people that already have crafted their
> foo2csv or foo2html xslt stylesheet, that if they want to put it into
> XProc, they won't be able to do that ?

IMO, we *must* support serialization to HTML documents. But I think it's
perfectly acceptable to do so via a separate step:

This will work without any changes to your existing stylesheet.

I think we *should* support text output as well, in exactly the same
way, although this would require us to support documents that aren't
well-formed XML documents (since they don't have a document element)
flowing through the pipeline. If we don't want to go there, a minor
change to the stylesheets producing text (adding a document element)
will make them amenable to this processing. I don't view this as
particularly burdensome for users.

Cheers,

Jeni
--