Re: Proposal: replace here documents with a component

From: Norman Walsh <Norman.Walsh@Sun.COM>
Date: Thu, 21 Sep 2006 10:31:41 -0400
To: public-xml-processing-model-wg@w3.org
| Richard and I had already come to a similar conclusion, indeed at the
| semantic level we think "from URI" should _also_ be a component, so
| that there's no funniness at that level at all---all inputs come from
| flows/pipes/whatever.

So

is the basic semantic. An input of the form

is understood to be syntactic sugar for

and a here document is understood to be syntactic sugare for

    the here documeng goes here

I like that idea.

| Which suggests that the _syntax_ of <p:input> doesn't need to change
| at all, just that it provides a shorthand for the use of a 'document'
| component that is not available for <p:choose>.

Nevertheless, I want to remove the syntactic convenience of allowing
"here documents" because I think doing so significantly simplifies the
syntax while imposing a negligible cost.