Re: Feedback from DocEng 2006

On 10/21/06, Jeni Tennison <jeni@jenitennison.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I gave a keynote at DocEng 2006 [1] on pipelining in general and XProc
> in particular. It went down fairly well, but there were four areas where
> the crowd pushed back:
>
> 1. If you have to declare exactly the same outputs in the whens and
> otherwise of a choose, then you should do it at the choose level rather
> than the when/otherwise level.

Faire enough

> 2. Why no loops/recursion?

Don't understand really what it could mean ? Loops and recursion on what ?

> 3. A general plea for a means of expressing out-of-band dependencies, or
> at the very least a side-effect-free/functional="yes|no|maybe" indication.

A kind of annotation of this type at the declare component level could
indeed be useful for optimization

> 4. A request that we define what checks should be carried out statically
>   on the pipeline (e.g. on stylesheets/schemas that are defined using
> 'here' documents).

It's interesting but I think out of scope for V1 (or may be for very
simple case).
But could be easily added in a V.next