Feedback from DocEng 2006

From: Jeni Tennison <jeni@jenitennison.com>
Date: Sat, 21 Oct 2006 21:02:24 +0100
To: public-xml-processing-model-wg@w3.org

Hi,

I gave a keynote at DocEng 2006 [1] on pipelining in general and XProc
in particular. It went down fairly well, but there were four areas where
the crowd pushed back:

1. If you have to declare exactly the same outputs in the whens and
otherwise of a choose, then you should do it at the choose level rather
than the when/otherwise level.

2. Why no loops/recursion?

3. A general plea for a means of expressing out-of-band dependencies, or
at the very least a side-effect-free/functional="yes|no|maybe" indication.

4. A request that we define what checks should be carried out statically
  on the pipeline (e.g. on stylesheets/schemas that are defined using
'here' documents).

I should point out that the attendees were mostly academics/researchers
(i.e. power-users/implementers), and I'm just reporting on what they
said; I don't necessarily agree with them.

Cheers,

Jeni

[1] http://www.cwi.nl/events/2006/DocEng2006/
--