Re: Match Pattern Proposal

From: Norman Walsh <Norman.Walsh@Sun.COM>
Date: Thu, 02 Nov 2006 09:55:30 -0500
To: public-xml-processing-model-wg@w3.org
We've discussed allowing XPath expressions of some form in five places:
on choose/when, on parameters, on inputs, on viewport, and on for-each.

On choose/when and parameters, I think they have to be select
expressions. And in any event, they don't select nodes so it's not
quite the same thing.

On input, viewport, and for-each, it seems like we have three choices:

1. Use 'select' semantics in every case.
2. Use 'match' semantics in every case.
3. Use 'select' semantics for some and 'match' for others.

I have a marginal preference for 1 or 2 on the basis that it's easier
to explain to users. And I think select semantics are easier to explain
and make more sense in the case of p:input, so I favor 1.

But Alex and Henry have both expressed a preference for match
semantics at least on viewport and maybe on for-each.

What do others think?