Re: Inputs and outputs

From: Alex Milowski <alex@milowski.org>
Date: Fri, 21 Jul 2006 11:52:52 -0700
To: public-xml-processing-model-wg@w3.org

Norman Walsh wrote:
> / Alex Milowski <alex@milowski.org> was heard to say:
> | While particular steps only *need* to refer to outputs of other steps,
> | tool technologies will need full ability to address into the pipeline.
>
> I expect we'll allow name attributes on most (if not all) elements.
> If you need to address something that doesn't have a name, use
> the XPointer element scheme.

Pointing into a document is not the same as point to a particular step
in the flow graph that results from loading a pipeline.

> | Experience has shown that having a common mechanism with which to
> | address the full abstract model is something that both users and
> | vendors eventually want.  If we end up using a "slash" for a
> | separator, it would be unfortunate if we couldn't map it to an
> | XPath kind of construct.
> |
> | Keep in mind that XML Schema already has such a construct that is
> | coming out for addressing into the component model:
> |
> |   http://www.w3.org/TR/xmlschema-ref/
>
> If this sort of thing is necessary (I'm unconvinced), I would like to
> postpone working on it until the language spec is in last call or CR.

Absolutely, with the exception that if we adopt some kind of "slash"
syntax we should consider this again as we don't want to remove the
ability to do this in the future.

--Alex Milowski