Re: Use Case 5.27: Integrate Computation Components (MathML)

From: Alessandro Vernet <avernet@orbeon.com>
Date: Wed, 12 Jul 2006 17:17:52 -0700
To: public-xml-processing-model-wg <public-xml-processing-model-wg@w3.org>

On 7/10/06, Alex Milowski <alex@milowski.org> wrote:
> Here is a version without the use of the pipe element.

Alex,

I like most of what I see in your syntax. One thing related to the
name of the outputs gets me confused though:

My assumption is each component declares what input(s) it expects and
what output(s) it generates. The component also assigns a name to each
input/output. So when we use a component in a step, I expect to see in
the <p:input> and <p:output> the names declared by the component.

If we have a component p:xslt that has 2 inputs (input and stylesheet)
and 1 output (transformed), I expect that a step using this component
would look like:

Instead in your code I see:

This seems to indicate that the pipeline author uses the "name"
attribute on <p:output> to give a label or ID to that output. This
label/ID in the name="..." attribute can be later referenced with
from="...". If my understanding is correct, I have 2 questions:

1) How do we deal with components that have multiple outputs?
2) In a step, the names are defined by the component and but the
output names are chosen by the pipeline author. Doesn't this create an
inconsistency?

Best,

Alex
--