Re: Standard Component Descriptions

From: Alex Milowski <alex@milowski.org>
Date: Wed, 06 Dec 2006 08:39:10 -0800
To: public-xml-processing-model-wg <public-xml-processing-model-wg@w3.org>

Alessandro Vernet wrote:

>> Personally, I don't understand why we can't have a standard
>> representation that wraps a query with XML but allows:
>>
>>     * the "normal" query syntax (i.e. no expansion into
>>       xml)
>>     * literal elements just as literal elements!
>
> Could you give us an example of what you have in mind here?

This is just the trivial embedding where there is a root element
that isn't returned as part of the query.

e.g.

<query>
    { /foo/bar }
</query>

That way you can use the 'query' element to control aspects
of the query:

<query maximum="10" start="20">
    { /foo/bar }
</query>

The big problem is that you can't "declare" things after the
document element has been specified.  As such, you need a
wrapper element that isn't part of the actual xquery.