Re: Annotations for side effects and stability

From: Alessandro Vernet <avernet@orbeon.com>
Date: Thu, 27 Apr 2006 10:23:06 -0700
To: public-xml-processing-model-wg@w3.org

> I feel that my attempts to persuade the WG that there's value in
> having components identified as being functional has so far failed and
> I'm inclined to abandon it.

Hearing the arguments presented so far, I see more drawbacks than
benefits to both: (a) enforcing that components have no side-effects
and (b) enforcing URI stability. So I concur with your conclusion.

> Although it seems reasonable to me, I'd
> like not to delay WG progress for it any further, if we can get
> consensus to abandon it. I don't actually think that pipelines like 2
> above occur very often. And if they do, and if the user really wants
> to make sure that p:foo is only executed once, it can be rewritten:

>              [...]

Again, I agree. And as a syntactic sugar, we can make the "tee"
implicit when there are multiple references to the same label in the
pipeline.

Alex