Re: Auxiliary documents

From: Alessandro Vernet <avernet@orbeon.com>
Date: Wed, 19 Apr 2006 16:15:35 -0700
To: public-xml-processing-model-wg@w3.org

> I don't see how the constraint that order be determined before
> execution begins impacts caching. I'm not suggesting that the
> components have to be bolted together so that each component is forced
> to parse everything. I just don't want the engine to have to back
> track to determine what component would need to be executed to create
> something.

A constraint in the pipeline language on execution order would prevent
caching if it mandated in the example that I mentioned in my previous
email that XSLT Step 1 has to run before XSLT Step 2. It would prevent
the pipeline engine for cleverly avoiding to run XSLT 1 if it already
has its output "in cache".

So the constraint could at best say that: if XSLT 1 is executed, then
XSLT 1 has to be executed before XSLT 2. But this would then prevent
an implementation from streaming data between XSLT 1 and XSLT 2, and
essentially run XSLT 1 and XSLT 2 at the same time. I don't think we
want to prevent streaming either.

So we are not left with much to say about the execution order, are we?

Alex
--
Blog (XML, Web apps, Open Source):
http://www.orbeon.com/blog/