Re: XProc: An XML Pipeline Language

From: Rui Lopes <rlopes@di.fc.ul.pt>
Date: Tue, 11 Apr 2006 14:33:26 +0100
To: Norman Walsh <Norman.Walsh@Sun.COM>
Cc: public-xml-processing-model-wg@w3.org
Norman Walsh wrote:
> | 2) "load" component: I don't undestand the difference between having this
> | component instead of implicit URIs declared in some step. From your other post
> | to the mailing list I understand the need for the "save" component.
>
> It's probably not a necessary component, if we allow an href or src
> attribute on a p:input element, but I still think it's probably useful
> to provide it for completeness sake.

I agree with the completeness argument. Nevertheless, if href/src
attributes aren't allowed, I believe that a pipeline definition will
tend to be really verbose.

> An XSLT 1.0 processor can only have a single principle input document
> (I don't know how, or if, we deal with the fact that the stylesheet
> can load auxilliary documents), but it can produce multiple result
> documents. (Ok, technically, it can't, but every XSLT 1.0 processor
> except the MS one has an extension that does so.)

Should we dismiss stylesheet's auxiliar documents? The same question may
be asked regarding an XInclude processor, should we dismiss the
documents specified in xi:include elements? I raise the question,
although I haven't got an answer to that :)

Cheers,
Rui