Re: Another take on versioning

Norm,

On 9 Oct 2009, at 21:57, Norman Walsh wrote:
> Jeni Tennison <jeni@jenitennison.com> writes:
>> So here's
>> my dumb question: the only outputs that you need to care about are
>> the
>> ones that are connected, so couldn't a processor work out what
>> outputs
>> a step is supposed to have based on the connections to those outputs?
>
> Could it?

I did say it was a dumb question. There's always a disconnect between
the user's "surely it should work like..." and the implementer's "no,
it has to work like..."

I was really thinking about explicit connections (ie not to primary
ports) directly to XProc steps. I think it's reasonable to constrain
future versions not to add primary ports to existing steps, if that
helps any.

Jeni
--
Jeni Tennison