p:http-request - Request entity body conversion and the 'encoding' attribute

From: <Toman_Vojtech@emc.com>
Date: Fri, 23 Jan 2009 10:40:36 -0500
To: <public-xml-processing-model-comments@w3.org>

Hi all,

Section 7.1.10.2 (p:http-request, Request entity body conversion) says:

"The encoding attribute controls the decoding of the element content for
formulating the body. A value of base64 indicates the element's content
is a base64 encoded string whose byte stream should be sent as the
message body."

It may be just my poor English, but what does the second sentence
exactly say?

1. That I should decode the base64 encoded string and send the result?
Or
2. That I should send the base64 encoded string as is (and set the
Content-Transfer-Encoding header to 'base64' so that the host can decode
the data)?

I have implemented option 2, but I am not sure whether it is actually
correct any more...