Re: HTTP "related protocols?"

From: Florent Georges <fgeorges@fgeorges.org>
Date: Tue, 13 Jan 2009 15:06:56 +0100
To: Toman_Vojtech@emc.com
Cc: public-xml-processing-model-comments@w3.org

2009/1/13  wrote:

> One particular use case the WG had in mind here was accessing
> non-XML content using computed URIs (for instance, from the file
> system, using a "GET-like" access). You can use p:data for loading
> binary data, but the disadvantage of p:data is that it can't take
> URIs that are computed dynamically - whereas in the case of
> p:http-request, the c:request element (and its "href" attribute)
> can by generated dynamically.

  Thanks for the explanation!  So if I am right, the intent of the
step is "to perform HTTP and HTTPS requests, and support as well the
file: scheme (in this case, @method is optional, and if present must
be GET.)"

  If it is, maybe it would be more clear to make the description in
the CR more precise in that regard?  And maybe that trying to reuse
http-request to support file: is just a kind of ad-hoc polymorphism?
(so a separate step would maybe be better?)

Florent Georges
http://www.fgeorges.org/