Re: XSLT 2 and xsl:result-document

2008/11/29 Dave Pawson wrote:
> 2008/11/29 Florent Georges <fgeorges@fgeorges.org>:

>>  But instead of telling about extensions (besides, you don't tell
>> about XProc extensions, but XSLT extensions...) you can maybe relax
>> the MUST and tell it is implementation -defined or -dependent.

> Which is what XSLT does? Except XSLT has no reason to mention
> extensions? I.e. they are always implementation dependent?

  I would say that the situation is different.  XSLT 1.0 does mention
extensions, and even define two kinds of extensions (functions and
instructions) and sets some rules for them.  But XSLT 1.0 does not
mention final result trees, because the result in XSLT 1.0 is the
result tree (only one.)

  So to summarize: XSLT 2.0 has (possibly) several result trees while
XSLT 1.0 has only one.  So the first thing in the draft was to say
that "in XSLT 1.0 additional result trees MUST be the empty sequence."
 But well-established XSLT 1.0 extensions (for instance from EXSLT,
Xalan and Saxon 6) provide a similar semantic for XSLT 1.0 as well.

  So clearly, the MUST has to be removed.  But I think that mentioning
XSLT extensions in XProc sounds over-specified.

--
Florent Georges
http://www.fgeorges.org/