Re: Errors in definition of XPath static context

2008/11/19 Henry S. Thompson wrote:

  Hi,

> My understanding, which could be wrong, is that the _static_
> context is what is the same for _every_ evaluation episode,
> whereas the _dynamic_ context is what may change - From one
> episode to the next.  It follows that the static context is for
> XSLT 2 is determined by the stylesheet context and the dynamic
> context is determined by (things dependent on) the source
> document(s).

  That's more or less the idea, but not exactly that.  For
instance, if you have a function like:

    <xsl:function name="my:double">
       <xsl:param name="num"/>
       <xsl:sequence select="$num + $num"/>
    </xsl:function>

and you call it like this:

    <xsl:sequence select="my:double(1), my:double(2)"/>

there is nothing depending on the source document (but it could for
another call,) while the value of $num (part of dynamic context)
will be different in both evaluations.

  So more precisely, I think the idea is that the static context is
what one can associate to any instruction in the stylesheet and
that won't change ever for that instruction (only by looking t the
stylesheet,) while the dynamic context is the part that could
change between two different evaluations of the same instruction,
in a unique run of the stylesheet.  Input documents are one of the
cause a dynamic context component can change, but not the only one.

  But regarding the issue raised by Norman, I think you are right,
what is in the current WD is correct, and is in the same spirit as
the XPath 2.0 static context.

  Hope that helps,

--
Florent Georges