Re: rdf accommodation

I must retract my suggestion for handling RDF in xproc. I had imagined
xproc to be something it isn't.  What I had hoped for was something like
"an XML vocabulary and syntax for defining pipelines to process various
serializations of W3C-standard data instances".  But I see on closer
reading that it is nothing like that.

Maybe it's not too far off, though.  Consider how a few simple changes
would greatly expand the scope and power of xproc, without affecting its
core XML processing capabilities:

1. Eliminate the requirement that says port-to-port data flow must be
XML.  Instead, use some phrase that means "serialized data instance", or
simply "data stream", a serialization of some data format specified by
W3C.  (Actually, why shouldn't this just say "behave as if ...", instead
of specifying the data stream?)
2. Provide a type-checking mechanism on input ports to report a dynamic
error when a port receives data it can't handle (instead of just XD0001
non-xml).  This could default to XML.

With these changes, xproc would be equipped to handle semantic
processing of rdf, owl, or any other type of w3c data that has a non-xml
syntax.

While the current draft addresses a large body of current mainstream XML
processing, it fails to meet the growing need for combined syntactic and
semantic processing.  I don't know of any other WG that aims to meet
this need.  XProc has laid the groundwork for everything required in a
pipeline language, so any separate effort for semantic processing would
be largely redundant.

Thanks for listening.

--Paul