Re: empty document node or undefined

From: Norman Walsh <ndw@nwalsh.com>
Date: Tue, 08 Apr 2008 11:13:53 -0400
To: public-xml-processing-model-comments@w3.org
/ James Fuller <james.fuller.2007@gmail.com> was heard to say:
| under XML Path 2.0 section 3.2.1 Steps it says ;
|
| 'If the context node is any other kind of node, or if the context node
| is an empty document or element node, then the child axis is an empty
| sequence'
|
| what is the impact of this on defining an empty document node, within
| XProc, when xpath 2 is in effect ?

If we leave it as is, as an empty document node, then child:: returns
an empty sequence. If we make it undefined then, like xsl:functions,
it'll be an error to refer to the context.

I think it's better/safer to make it an error. Especially since it
makes it possible for us to do something else in the future. If we
make it an empty document today, it'll be backwards incompatible to
change it. If we make it an error, it won't be.

Norman Walsh <ndw@nwalsh.com> | Are you not the future of all the
http://nwalsh.com/            | memories stored within you? The future