Re: id is Candidate Recommendation (Call for Implementations)

John Boyer wrote:
> Either way, a separate issue emerges.  Some group at the core
> of the W3C needs to come to a decision about what a namespace
> means and whether additions, deletions or changes to the schema
> (the collection of names) necessitates a change of namespace URI.

That would be the TAG. As it happens, it's already working on versioning
and extensibility. I would therefore recommend that the discussion take
place there.

> My read of the definition of namespace (a collection of names
> *identified* by a URI) suggests that an answer is yes because
> two different collections of names are not identical.
>
> A 'no' decision (i.e. that changing the vocabulary does not require
> a change of namespace URI) may have significant policy ramifications.
> For example, would it be permissible for the XForms working group
> to issue XForms 1.1 without changing the namespace URI from the one
> used in XForms 1.0?  It is very easy for me to illustrate the
> disastrous consequences of such a decision.

Even if you were right, which I would contest, it is too late to change
the way things are already been done. Namespaces aren't version
identifiers, they're just that: namespaces. Rare are the languages that
change their namespaces when they modify the vocabulary: XHTML and SVG
don't do that for instance, and I'd be very surprised — shocked in fact
— if XForms did.

--
Robin Berjon
   Research Scientist