Re: Deployment and media types

From: Mark Baker <distobj@acm.org>
Date: Fri, 2 Mar 2012 10:06:19 -0500
To: Noah Mendelsohn <nrm@arcanedomain.com>
Cc: David Carlisle <davidc@nag.co.uk>, public-xml-er@w3.org
Noah,

On Wed, Feb 29, 2012 at 3:12 PM, Noah Mendelsohn <nrm@arcanedomain.com> wrote:
> I think Mark B. would be correct in his concern if we start advertising any
> non-XML content as "conforming", e.g. if we start encouraging the use of
> unquoted attribute values. If we do that, then I think a new media type is
> indeed necessary.

I've given this a lot of thought, and reckon that I'm unclear what you
mean by "encourage", because my impression is that it will do just
that. Not explicitly via specification prose, but effectively, by
virtue of its error recovery goals.

I've been unable to think of a scenario where standardizing error
recovery behaviour or semantics avoids interfering with established
protocols.

Am I missing some important point about how you all anticipate XML-ER
being used perhaps?

Mark.