Minutes for XML Core WG telcon of 2013 March 6

Attendees
---------
  Norm
  Paul
  Liam
  Henry xx:18
  John

[5 organizations (7 with proxies) present out of 8]

Regrets
-------
Daniel, proxy to the chair
Jirka, proxy to the chair

Absent organizations
--------------------
Innovimax
Red Hat (with regrets, proxy to the chair)
Univ of Economics, Prague (with regrets, proxy to the chair)

Our next telcon is March 20.

*Note:* North America will start observing Daylight Savings Time
on March 10 whereas the UK and Europe start observing DST on March 31.
This means that our telcon of March 20 will occur *one hour earlier
local time* for those dialing in from the UK and Europe.

> 1. Accepting the minutes from the last telcon [3] and
>   the current task status [2] (have any questions, comments,
>   or corrections ready by the beginning of the call).

Accepted.

> 2. Miscellaneous administrivia and document reviews.

New charter
-----------
Liam reported that there was push back for putting
MicroXML into the charter as we had requested.  The
idea is that either we say we are doing a Rec for
MicroXML or we don't say anything.

So Liam may have to take it out of our charter for now,
and then if we decide to write a MicroXML Rec, we would
have to have a charter amendment.

We could always write a Note about MicroXML.

Liam will try to keep something in the charter about the
fact that if there is to be any Recommendation track work
on MicroXML, it will be under the auspices of the XML Core WG.

> xmlspec.xsl and diffspec.xsl
> ----------------------------
> Paul sent email about this at
> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-xml-core-wg/2012Nov/0014
>
> ACTION to Norm:  Come up with (and implement) a plan to
> reorganize xmlspec.xsl and diffspec.xsl to "do the right thing."

ACTION to Norm continued.

> DOM4
> ----
> Henry reported that DOM4 has removed (or deprecated) access to the
> XML Declaration. Our Infoset spec says that standalone, version,
> and the encoding are part of the information content of an XML
> document.
>
> Henry and Paul think the XML Core WG should send an email
> to the Web Applications Working Group (public-webapps@w3.org)
> to reinstate the parts of the xml decl that are in the Infoset.
>
> Henry drafted a potential comment at
> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-xml-core-wg/2013Feb/0023
>
> John filed some thoughts to the contrary at
> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-xml-core-wg/2013Feb/0026
>
> Henry figures we should discuss this some more.
> Norm is having a hard time caring about all this.
>
> ACTION to Henry:  Reach out to the webapps working group
> and/or others to try to collect some more data on this issue.

ACTION to Henry continued.

> Fully normalized XML
> --------------------
> This discussion started with a posting to xml-editor at
> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/xml-editor/2013JanMar/0002
> but then Norm found some more concerning issues at
> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-xml-core-wg/2013Feb/0027
> wherein different tools handle the combining characters differently.
>
> It doesn't appear that it's obvious what the "right"
> answer is.  Perhaps we need to add something to the
> XML spec about this.  We need to research this some more.
>
> The XML Core WG email thread is at
> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-xml-core-wg/2013Feb/thread#msg21

XML 1.0 doesn't say anything about normalization.

XML 1.1 says XML parsers are forbidden from normalizing.

The fact that Saxon and MarkLogic do different things
is okay--neither is non-compliant.

ACTION to Paul:  Draft a response to Roger Costello and
post it to the XML Core WG list.

> 3.  XML Test Suite.
>
> See also http://www.w3.org/XML/Group/Core#xml-test-suite
>
> ACTION to Henry:  Construct a test case for the XML test suite
> issues raised by Frans Englich:
> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-xml-testsuite/2007Mar/
>

> 4.  LEIRIs--see http://www.w3.org/XML/Group/Core#leiri
>
> We have planned to issue the following spec editions referencing
> LEIRIs (and any outstanding errata):
>
> * XML 1.0 6th Edition (John to be editor)
> * XML 1.1 3rd Edition (John to be editor)
> * XInclude 3rd Edition (Paul to be editor)
>
> but all this is on hold awaiting resolution of IRIbis.
> Henry has been added as an editor and there is now a new draft,
> draft-lilley-xml-mediatypes-00 at
> http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-lilley-xml-mediatypes-00
> We now await this going through the IETF process.
>

> 5.  XInclude 1.1--see http://www.w3.org/XML/Group/Core#xinclude
>
> On 2012 February 14, we published
> XInclude 1.1 Requirement and Use Cases
> http://www.w3.org/TR/xinclude-11-requirements/
>
> On 9 October 2012, we published our FPWD of XInclude 1.1 at
> http://www.w3.org/XML/2012/10/WD-xinclude-11-20121009/
>
> On 15 January 2013, we published our (first) Last Call of
> XInclude 1.1 at
> http://www.w3.org/TR/2013/WD-xinclude-11-20130115/
> and Paul sent the transition announcement at
> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-xml-core-wg/2013Jan/0012
> (also cc-ing the chairs mailing list).
>
> To date, there has been one comment posted to
> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-xml-xinclude-comments/
> Norm posted announcement of the XInclude 1.1 Last Call
> to the DocBook list and there have been some comments at
> https://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/docbook/201301/threads.html#00005
> Norm posted announcement of the XInclude 1.1 Last Call
> to the xml-dev list at
> http://lists.xml.org/archives/xml-dev/201302/msg00023.html
> (No comments to date.)
>
> ACTION to Norm:  Prepare a Disposition of Comments document for
> XInclude 1.1.
>
> ACTION to Norm:  Create an Implementation Report document for
> XInclude 1.1.

ACTIONs to Norm continued.