W3C home > Mailing lists > Public > public-xml-core-wg@w3.org > December 2012

Minutes for XML Core WG telcon of 2012 December 12

From: Paul Grosso <paul@paulgrosso.name>
Date: Wed, 12 Dec 2012 10:49:45 -0600
Message-ID: <50C8B5A9.3070706@paulgrosso.name>
To: public-xml-core-wg@w3.org
CC: Glenn Marcy <gmarcy@us.ibm.com>

Attendees
---------
Norm
Paul
Jirka

[3 organizations (6 with proxies) present out of 9]

Regrets
-------
Henry, proxy to the chair
Daniel, proxy to the chair
Mohamed, proxy to the chair
John

Absent organizations
--------------------
IBM
W3C
Innovimax (with regrets, proxy to the chair)
Red Hat (with regrets, proxy to the chair)
Univ of Edinburgh (with regrets, proxy to the chair)
John Cowan (with regrets)


We are cancelling the telcon of December 26.
Our the next telcon will be 2013 January 9.



> 1. Accepting the minutes from the last telcon [3] and
>   the current task status [2] (have any questions, comments,
>   or corrections ready by the beginning of the call).
>

Accepted.

>
> 2. Miscellaneous administrivia and document reviews.
>
> New charter
> -----------
> Our current charter expires in January.
>
> Liam has started a draft charter at
> http://www.w3.org/XML/2013/xml-core-charter.html
>
> Paul already posted some (mostly editorial) comments at
> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-xml-core-wg/2012Nov/0017
>
> John sent some suggested wording about MicroXML at
> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-xml-core-wg/2012Nov/0019
>
> Liam implemented Paul's suggestions ($Date: 2012-11-28 03:11:12 $),
> then Paul sent more email at
> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-xml-core-wg/2012Nov/0023
>
> During the last telcon, we had consensus agreement with Paul's latest
> suggestions (which included using John's wording).  Since then, there
> has been some more email at
> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-xml-core-wg/2012Dec/thread#msg7
>
> ACTION to Liam:  Make another attempt at reflecting our current
> plans wrt MicroXML in the draft charter while still satisfying
> whatever legalities need to be satisfied.

Liam has done so ($Date: 2012-12-10 19:43:52 $), and Paul,
John, and Henry have indicated they are okay with it.

----

Then there was some discussion about whether we should
add maintenance of XML Schema to our charter; see:
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-xml-core-wg/2012Dec/thread#msg23

Although several WG members were lukewarm (aka, not thrilled)
with the prospect, most agreed that--if the XML Schema WG
is disappearing--we should take on XML Schema maintenance.

ACTION to Liam:  Add XML Schema maintenance to our charter.

>
>
> xml-stylesheet and HTML5
> ------------------------
> This was discussed at the TPAC f2f.  The conclusion was
> for Norm to pass on to the HTML5 WG suggested text for a
> non-normative note to be included in the HTML5 1.0 spec
> which he did:
> https://www.w3.org/Bugs/Public/show_bug.cgi?id=14689#c35
>
> The latest draft we've seen is dated 08 November 2012 at
> http://htmlwg.org/cr/html/
> and we don't see our requested wording therein.
>
> Norm checked with Robin who said he says there's another
> draft expected that will have the note.
>
> ACTION to Norm:  Continue to track mention of xml-stylesheet
> PI in the HTML5 spec.


ACTION to Norm continued.


>
> Names that begin [Xx][Mm][Ll]
> -----------------------------
> This was discussed at the TPAC f2f.
>
> Norm: proposed erratum
>
>    s/in this or future versions of this specification/
>     /in this or future specifications from the XML Core WG or its successors/
>
> Henry: I'm perfectly happy to entertain a motion to remove this from
> this specification and retain the "xml:" prefix only for elements and
> attributes and "xml-" only for PI targets.
>
> Norm: I'd prefer to make explicit that you *can* write names that
> begin "xml", but doing so exposes you to being walked on in the
> future. So don't do that.
>
> Jirka: I can go either way, it's always been a restriction, users
> should know better, but there are lots of documents that use it,
> so we should adapt to common practice.
>
> Jirka sent email at
> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-xml-core-wg/2012Nov/0009
>
> ACTION to Norm:  Draft an erratum to "reserve" xml-* for PI targets
> and delete the restriction that we lay claim to other names that
> start with "xml".


ACTION to Norm continued.


>
> xmlspec.xsl and diffspec.xsl
> ----------------------------
> Paul sent email about this at
> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-xml-core-wg/2012Nov/0014
>
> ACTION to Norm:  Come up with (and implement) a plan to
> reorganize xmlspec.xsl and diffspec.xsl to "do the right thing."


ACTION to Norm continued.



>
> 3.  XML Test Suite.
>
> See also http://www.w3.org/XML/Group/Core#xml-test-suite
>
> ACTION to Henry:  Construct a test case for the XML test suite
> issues raised by Frans Englich:
> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-xml-testsuite/2007Mar/
>
>
> 4.  LEIRIs--see http://www.w3.org/XML/Group/Core#leiri
>
> We have planned to issue the following spec editions referencing
> LEIRIs (and any outstanding errata):
>
> * XML 1.0 6th Edition (John to be editor)
> * XML 1.1 3rd Edition (John to be editor)
> * XInclude 3rd Edition (Paul to be editor)
>
> but all this is on hold awaiting resolution of IRIbis.
> Henry has been added as an editor and there is now a new draft,
> draft-lilley-xml-mediatypes-00 at
> http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-lilley-xml-mediatypes-00
> We now await this going through the IETF process.
>
>
> 5.  XInclude 1.1--see http://www.w3.org/XML/Group/Core#xinclude
>
> On 2012 February 14, we published
> XInclude 1.1 Requirement and Use Cases
> http://www.w3.org/TR/xinclude-11-requirements/
>
> On 9 October 2012, we published our FPWD of XInclude 1.1 at
> http://www.w3.org/XML/2012/10/WD-xinclude-11-20121009/
>
> The latest draft is dated 4 December 2012 at
> http://www.w3.org/XML/2012/08/xinclude-11/
>
> Paul commented and suggested some rewording of one note at
> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-xml-core-wg/2012Dec/0004
>
> Norm agreed with Paul's suggested rewording and no one else commented.
> If there are no objections during this week's telcon, then:
>
> ACTION to Norm:  Implement Paul's suggestion in an updated
> draft of the XInclude 1.1 spec.


There were no objections heard, therefore:

ACTION to Norm:  Implement Paul's suggestion at
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-xml-core-wg/2012Dec/0004
in an updated draft of the XInclude 1.1 spec.

We'll plan to publish mid January, and it will very possibly
be a Last Call then.  Norm expects to have an implementation
by then.


>
> There is a publishing moratorium from December 14 through
> January 2, so unless the WG feels strongly that we should
> publish in the next few days, I would plan to publish the
> next draft in mid January (our first telcon of the year is
> January 9).  Assuming that schedule, we should decide if we
> should make the next draft a Last Call.
>
>
> paul
>
> [1] http://www.w3.org/XML/Group/Core
> [2] http://www.w3.org/XML/Group/Core#tasks
> [3] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-xml-core-wg/2012Nov/0025
>
>
>
Received on Wednesday, 12 December 2012 16:50:15 UTC

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.3.1 : Tuesday, 6 January 2015 21:16:45 UTC