W3C home > Mailing lists > Public > public-xml-core-wg@w3.org > April 2012

Minutes for XML Core WG telcon of 2012 April 4

From: Paul Grosso <paul@paulgrosso.name>
Date: Wed, 04 Apr 2012 10:42:37 -0500
Message-ID: <4F7C6BED.7080103@paulgrosso.name>
To: public-xml-core-wg@w3.org

Attendees
---------
Glenn
Norm
Paul
Liam
John

[5 organizations (6 with proxies) present out of 9]

Regrets
-------
Daniel, proxy to the chair
Henry
Jirka


Absent organizations
--------------------
Innovimax
Univ of Edinburgh (with regrets)
Jirka Kosek (with regrets)
Daniel Veillard (with regrets, proxy to the chair)


Our next telcon will be April 18.   Regrets from Paul, Norm will chair.


> 1. Accepting the minutes from the last telcon [3] and
>   the current task status [2] (have any questions, comments,
>   or corrections ready by the beginning of the call).
>

Accepted.


>
> 2. Miscellaneous administrivia and document reviews.
>
> Fall TPAC
> ---------
> There will be a TPAC meeting in Lyon, France in October/November:
> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-xml-core-wg/2012Mar/0006
>
> We should consider whether we want to have a WG f2f there.
>
>
> xml-stylesheet and HTML5
> ------------------------
> Henry took an action to file a bug about xml-stylesheet
> handling.  Done:
> http://www.w3.org/Bugs/Public/show_bug.cgi?id=14689
>
> Henry has done a lot more testing and filing of results to date.
>
> ACTION to Henry: File a bug against the HTML5 spec saying that
> it should support styling XML with CSS.
>
> The CSS2 spec says something about styling XML with CSS.
> Henry also notes http://www.w3.org/Style/styling-XML.en.html.
>
> Henry's tests are at
> http://www.w3.org/XML/2011/11/ssTests/
> You need to look at the README and README2 files there.
>
>
> issues with the Polyglot draft
> ------------------------------
> Henry sent email with various potential issues at
> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-xml-core-wg/2011Nov/0037
>
> Polyglot draft: BOM
> -------------------
> We discussed the point about the spec recommending [P1] the use of the 
> UTF-8 BOM.
>
> [P1] http://dev.w3.org/html5/html-xhtml-author-guide/#character-encoding
>
> Henry thinks we converged on this in email on Wednesday 11 January:
> See
> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-xml-core-wg/2012Jan/0007
>
> Henry: I think we should file an issue against Polyglot about the BOM.
>
> ACTION: Henry to file an issue against Polyglot about the BOM.
>
> Polyglot draft: xml:space and xml:base
> --------------------------------------
> See the minutes at
> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-xml-core-wg/2012Jan/0016
> for the discussion.
>
> ACTION: Henry to draft an issue regarding xml:space and xml:base in
>         the Polyglot draft for WG review.
>
>
> 3.  XML Test Suite.
>
> See also http://www.w3.org/XML/Group/Core#xml-test-suite
>
> ACTION to Henry:  Construct a test case for the XML test suite
> issues raised by Frans Englich:
> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-xml-testsuite/2007Mar/
>
>
> 4.  LEIRIs--see http://www.w3.org/XML/Group/Core#leiri
>
> We have planned to issue the following spec editions referencing
> LEIRIs (and any outstanding errata):
>
> * XML 1.0 6th Edition (John to be editor)
> * XML 1.1 3rd Edition (John to be editor)
> * XInclude 3rd Edition (Paul to be editor)
>
> but all this is on hold awaiting resolution of IRIbis.
>
>
> 5.  XInclude 1.1--see http://www.w3.org/XML/Group/Core#xinclude
>
> On 2012 February 14, we published
> XInclude 1.1 Requirement and Use Cases
> http://www.w3.org/TR/xinclude-11-requirements/
> summarizing the requirements and use cases for possible
> enhancements to XInclude addressing the issues:
>
> * @xpointer when parse="text"
> * copying attributes from the xinclude element to the root
>   included element
>
> Before producing an XInclude 1.1, we will need an amended
> charter as indicated by Ian at
> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-xml-core-wg/2011Dec/0014
>
> We should wait to see what if any feedback we get from the
> published requirements and use cases and then, if we want
> to go ahead with an XInclude 1.1, we should look into amending
> our charter.
>
> We did get mostly positive feedback from Chris Lilley at:
> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-xml-xinclude-comments/2012Feb/0000 
>
>
> Norm has posted something to the DocBook TC:
> http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/docbook/201202/msg00001.html
>
> ACTION to Norm:  Continue to publicize the XInclude 1.1
> Requirement and Use Cases WG Note to potentially interested
> parties and see if you can drum up any feedback.

Norm nudged the DocBook mailing list again
http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/docbook/201204/msg00000.html
and did publish this a few weeks ago:
http://norman.walsh.name/2012/02/20/xinclude11

Jirka gave some more feedback at
http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/docbook/201204/msg00002.html
and also included it at
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-xml-core-wg/2012Apr/0002

ACTION to Liam:  Investigate what it takes to modify our charter
to allow us to work on an XInclude 1.1 Recommendation.

>
>
> 6.  XML Model
>
> Jirka reminded us that ISO published XML Model as an international
> standard.  One can buy it at
> http://www.iso.org/iso/iso_catalogue/catalogue_tc/catalogue_detail.htm?csnumber=54793 
>
>
> He said that the process is in order to try to allow the ISO version
> to be published for free.
>
> We will wait to see if it becomes freely available and then update
> our note to reference it.
>
> ACTION to Jirka:  Check with the ISO working group about the
> status of making the ISO version free.

ACTION to Jirka continued.

>
>
> paul
>
> [1] http://www.w3.org/XML/Group/Core
> [2] http://www.w3.org/XML/Group/Core#tasks
> [3] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-xml-core-wg/2012Mar/0008
>
>
Received on Wednesday, 4 April 2012 15:43:03 UTC

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.3.1 : Tuesday, 6 January 2015 21:16:44 UTC