Re: Fwd: First draft of xml-model note [was: XML Core WG Status and Open Actions as of 2009 December 21]

>> Paul and Jirka (now an invited expert member of the XML Core WG)
>> will be co-editors of a WG Note.  Jirka has done some draft work.

Hi Paul,

it seems that probably not all W3C systems has been updated as I'm still
not subscribed to XML Core WG mailing list.

>> ACTION to Paul:  Generate a draft WG Note for xml-model.
>
> I have used the AssocSS spec and Jirka's draft to produce
> an initial WG working draft of the xml-model note.  I have
> put it up at
> http://www.w3.org/XML/Group/2010/01/xml-model/

Thanks. It looks very good and I have spotted only two minor problems
which were same as ones already reported by Norm and George.

If WG will agree on the spirit of xml-model I can prepare more examples
for Appendix B.

In your draft there is note asking why "charset" is not used instead of
"encoding". I was trying to align xml-model with the latest common use
which prefers "encoding" -- i.e. XML declaration, encoding attribute in
XInclude, optional encoding parameter in unparsed-text() XSLT 2.0
function, ...

Moroever I don't think that "charset" is more meaningful nowadays when
content is almost always expected to be in Unicode. So I don't think
that it makes sense to stick with legacy "charset" term as used in HTTP.

Regarding the citation of Schematron -- unfortunately ISO in general
doesn't provide persistent URLs for their products. Schematron spec can
be downloaded from
http://standards.iso.org/ittf/PubliclyAvailableStandards/c040833_ISO_IEC_19757-3_2006(E).zip
after agreeing to quite silly license terms. Proper citation would be
probably:

ISO/IEC 19757-3:2006. Information technology — Document Schema
Definition Languages (DSDL) — Part 3: Rule-based validation —
Schematron.International Organization for Standardization and
International Electrotechnical Commission. 2006.

Have a nice day,

    Jirka