xml-stylesheet Re: Agenda for XML Core WG telcon of 2009 June 17

From: Simon Pieters <simonp@opera.com>
Date: Wed, 17 Jun 2009 18:35:14 +0200
To: "Grosso, Paul" <pgrosso@ptc.com>, public-xml-core-wg@w3.org
On Mon, 15 Jun 2009 16:12:02 +0200, Grosso, Paul <pgrosso@ptc.com> wrote:

> 11.  Associating Stylesheets.

There was some discussion about what to do with the values of media="" and

HTML4 says about media="":

which says that the default value is "screen", which is not correct; the
default value should be "all".

http://www.w3.org/TR/html401/types.html#type-media-descriptors also gives
parsing rules for the media value, which are different than the parsing
rules given in the Media Queries spec.

HTML4 says about href="":

i.e. that it's value is a URI (but it probably meant URI *reference*).

HTML4 also has an appendix about what to do with non-ASCII:

This advice is different from what is specified in DanC's draft (see

HTML5 basically says that href="" must be a valid IRI reference.

"The destination of the link(s) is given by the href attribute, which must
be present and must contain a valid URL."

where "valid URL" points to

which references the Web Addresses spec:

...which, for the purpose of xml-stylesheet, is the same as a valid IRI
reference (since the URL encoding weirdness is only relevant for HTML and
not for XMLHttpRequest or CSS or xml-stylesheet).

We could say in xml-stylesheet that the value must be a valid IRI

As for interpreting the value, we should say to resolve the IRI reference
against the document's address. If we do so by referencing
http://www.w3.org/html/wg/href/draft#resolve-a-url we get HTML-compatible
handling of invalid values for free. (Opera already uses the same rules
for HTML href="" and xml-stylesheet href="".)

Simon Pieters
Opera Software