Re: question about xlink 1.1

From: Henry S. Thompson <ht@inf.ed.ac.uk>
Date: Tue, 16 Jun 2009 18:52:32 +0100
To: John Cowan <cowan@ccil.org>
Cc: "Grosso, Paul" <pgrosso@ptc.com>, public-xml-core-wg@w3.org

John Cowan writes:

> Henry S. Thompson scripsit:
>
>> However, I am left with one residual query in this area:  why isn't
>> href #REQUIRED in simpleAttrs in the DTD (and schemas)?  Why does the
>> spec. say "it MAY be used on simple-type elements"?  What does a
>> simple link w/o an href mean?
>
> Ah, memories.  In the very first batch of comments I sent to the Linking
> WG way back when, I asked what the point of one-ended links (simple or
> complex) was.  I never got a very satisfactory reply.

I'm happy with 1-ended links (see for example their use in Robin
Milner's Bigraphs), but I thought that's what extended links were for:
they let you do pretty much anything, whereas simple links are meant
to be just that: simple.  That is, one local anchor, one remote
anchor.  No more and, I thought, no less. . .

ht

- --
                         Half-time member of W3C Team
                Fax: (44) 131 651-1426, e-mail: ht@inf.ed.ac.uk