XML Core WG Status and Open Actions as of 2009 August 16

From: Grosso, Paul <pgrosso@ptc.com>
Date: Mon, 17 Aug 2009 11:11:11 -0400
To: "XML CORE" <public-xml-core-wg@w3.org>

The XML Core WG telcons are every other week.

Our next telcon will be August 26.

Status and open actions

Mohamed has sent a draft W3C Liaison Report to SC 34 at
Comments requested.

Unicode normalization in XML 1.0
Addison Phillips of I18N sent email about
Unicode Normalization in XML 1.0 5th Ed.; see

We have agreed on a note to add.

ACTION to Francois:  Process the suggested additional note
as an erratum to XML 1.0 5th Edition.

HTML request for clearer XML serialization
Henry raised the issue that HTML folks think the XML
spec is broken because it doesn't define error recovery
and doesn't discuss serialization.

Simon added his understanding of the issue at
(second half of the message) and a thread starting with a
reply from John ensued at

Perhaps with this email beginning, Henry only needs to reply
to that thread, but for now, I'll leave the following action:

ACTION to Henry:  Send email to the XML Core WG list
outlining the suggestion to define a serialization spec
including the rationale.

XML 1.0
Issues with the 5th Edition

Namespaces in XML 1.0/1.1
See also http://www.w3.org/XML/Group/Core#ns1.0 and

The NS 1.0 2nd Ed Errata document is at

The NS PE doc is at

NS 1.0 3rd Ed is in PER at
until 2009-09-14.

The xml:id Recommendation is at

The Errata document is at

John Cowan submitted a proposed erratum at

At one point we thought we had Consensus:
The sentence "A document that uses xml:id attributes
that have a declared type other than xs:ID will always generate
xml:id errors" in Appendix D.3 should be deleted.

But they we reconsidered.  Henry sent further email at

We did agree that applying xml:id processing does not have
any impact on the DTD/XSD validity of the document.

John re-summarized his thoughts at

ACTION to Henry (and others):  Continue the xml:id issue
discussion in email.

Richard pointed out the following note in XML Base
(just before section 3.1):

 This specification does not give the xml:base attribute
 any special status as far as XML validity is concerned.
 In a valid document the attribute must be declared in
 the DTD, and similar considerations apply to other schema

and suggested a similar note should go into xml:id in D.1.

There was also some email about some typos for which we (Henry)
should process an editorial erratum:

ACTION to Henry:  Process an xml:id erratum to correct the typos; ref

XLink 1.1
See also http://www.w3.org/XML/Group/Core#xlink1.1

The XLink 1.1 Last Call has been published at

The LC review period ended 16 May 2008.

Norm has prepared an updated DoC at

Paul summarized the open issues at

Norm replied at

ACTION to Norm:  Update the DoC accordingly.

The latest editor's draft (of the PR) is at
and a diff-with-the-last-CR draft is at

We are still fiddling to get the correct DTDs/XSDs/RNCs in.
John sent email about this at

ACTION to Henry:  Update the DTDs (both for full
and simple conformance) so that the xlink:type attribute has no
default (e.g., is #IMPLIED).

Henry finds the DTD/RelaxNG/XSD fragments throughout the spec unhelpful
and would like to remove them (leaving them only in the appendices).
Henry specifically referenced the example immediately preceding 5.3.
But this was in the CR, so we will probably leave it, but we will
remove the default for xlink:type.

Henry sent an XML Schema for simple-conformant XLink at

ACTION to Norm:  Update the draft with the correct DTD, XSD, and RNC.

We plan to skip CR and going directly to PR.

Paul drafted a PR transition request at

The Implementation Report at
is pitiful.  We'll need to augment this to be able to request PR.

ACTION to Norm: Dig up more for the XLink 1.1 implementation report.

XInclude 3rd Edition PER
See also http://www.w3.org/XML/Group/Core#xinclude

XInclude 2nd Edition is at:

ACTION to Daniel: Produce a PER-ready draft of XInclude 3rd Ed
with appropriate references to the IRI RFC for LEIRIs.

Associating Stylesheets
See also http://www.w3.org/XML/Group/Core#assoc-ss

Associating stylesheets with XML version 1.0 is at:

The Errata document is at:

The latest issues document with CONSENSUS resoltions is at

ACTION to Henry and Simon:  Produce a draft of the AssocSS 2nd Ed PER.