Re: W3C Liaison Report to SC 34

Here is the second edition of the draft (with XProc that I forgot...
how come ???) and with needed precision (thanks Paul)

[[

W3C is the World Wide Web Consortium and is the architect of the XML
Core technologies, on which ISO JTC 1/SC 34 relies a lot.
There is some moves in this field which are around trying to align all
the XML stack to the last XML 1.0 5th edition.
The most recent one is about the publishing of Namespaces in XML 1.0
(Third Edition) as a Proposed Edited Recommendation.

The liaison work between DSDL Part 11 (about xml-model) and XML Core
Working Group seems
fruitful and gives liberty to SC 34 WG1 to go ahead with Part 11. Of
course SC 34/WG 1 owe an anwser to XML Core WG.

W3C is also pushing XML Schema 1.1.
"XML Schema 1.1 Part 1 Structure" and "XML Schema 1.1 Part 2
Datatypes" moved to W3C Candidate
Recommendation since 30 April 2009.

XML Schema Part 2 is an important specification on which SC 34
specifications rely heavy on, and SC 34 should review this
specification and comment on.

On the other hand, XML Schema Part 1 is implementing something similar
to DSDL Part 3 (Schematron) and it would be good to monitor what
SC 34 could learn from it.

W3C is also using more and more part of DSDL specification.

Recently, a promising technologies named Widgets 1.0: Packaging and
Configuration, which moved to W3C Candidate Recommendation on 23 July
2009, used DSDL Part 2 (Relax NG) to describe its technology. It is not an
isolated case, and is representative of the fact that DSDL Part 2 find
use cases where
it fits better than W3C XML Schema.

On this same specification, WG 4 (which is responsible of OPC) should
review this spec and comment on.

But more importantly, SML 1.1 which became a W3C Recommendation on 12
May 2009, is a specification which is explicitly relying on and
including DSDL Part 3 (Schematron), which proves that ISO JTC 1/SC 34
specifications receive a lot of attention from the W3C.

On the side of DSDL Part 10, XProc 1.0 moved recently to W3C Candidate
Recommendation on 28 May 2009 after almost 4 years of development. The
work is almost finished, and it would be good for SC 34 WG 1 to
consider reviving Part 10.

To strengthen the relations between W3C and JTC 1/SC 34, we should
comment on each other specifications and continue using each other
technologies and advices where possible.

Regards,

Mohamed ZERGAOUI
W3C Liaison for JTC 1/SC 34
]]