XML Core WG Status and Open Actions as of 2009 April 13

From: Grosso, Paul <pgrosso@ptc.com>
Date: Mon, 13 Apr 2009 16:44:36 -0400
To: <public-xml-core-wg@w3.org>

The XML Core WG telcons are every other week.

Our next telcon will be April 22.

Status and open actions

Unicode normalization in XML 1.0
Addison Phillips of I18N sent email about
Unicode Normalization in XML 1.0 5th Ed.; see

Paul provided a status update to Addison and I18N at

We decided to add a note; Paul sent draft wording at

HTML request for clearer XML serialization
Henry raised the issue that HTML folks think the XML
spec is broken because it doesn't define error recovery
and doesn't discuss serialization.

ACTION to Henry:  Send email to the XML Core WG list
outlining the suggestion to define a serialization spec
including the rationale.

Overlap between Powder and LEIRIs
Henry writes:

Please review section 2.1.3 of the forthcoming draft of Protocol for
Web Description Resources (POWDER): Grouping of Resources [1]:  It
says things about e.g. entity expansion which I think at risk of
confusing proper layering, and it also doesn't seem to recognise the
LEIRI spec.

This spec just went back to Last Call.

John reviewed especially section 2.1.3 of the POWDER spec at
and only had an issue with spaces and + signs; see

Per Thomas Roessler at
the WG may have already dealt with this issue.

Pointer Methods in RDF
The ERT WG has issued a FPWD entitled "Pointer Methods in RDF":

This seems to overlap with XPointer (or it should).

Norm reviewed this for the XML Core WG at
and there has been some follow up email discussion.

Paul sent in the XML Core WG comment at

ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC 34 request to use "xml-model" as a PI target
ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC 34 has requested at
that they be allowed to use "xml-model" as a processing instruction
target name token.

John thinks we should approve this.  Henry worries that people
will then expect that this is something from W3C, but he will
not stand in the way.

We should consider adding entries for xml-stylesheet and xml-model
to the xml namespace document at http://www.w3.org/XML/1998/namespace.

[I don't have a decision or action listed here.]

XML Test Suite
See also http://www.w3.org/XML/Group/Core#xml-test-suite

Henry/Richard discussed the test suite issues raised by Frans Englich:

ACTION: Richard to construct a test case for these issues.

Namespaces in XML 1.0/1.1
See also http://www.w3.org/XML/Group/Core#ns1.0 and

The NS PE doc is at

Richard added some discussion at
The WG agreed with his direction and asked that he go forward with it.

ACTION to Richard:  Fill in a proposed resolution for NPE29.

Henry will work with Richard on NPE29.

We will then plan to issue NS 1.0 3rd Ed.

Whether we put ns prefix undeclaration into NS 1.0 3rd Ed
remains an open issue.

The xml:id Recommendation is at

John Cowan submitted a proposed erratum at

Consensus:  The sentence "A document that uses xml:id attributes
that have a declared type other than xs:ID will always generate
xml:id errors" in Appendix D.3 should be deleted.

ACTION to Henry:  Update the Errata document at

ACTION to Henry:  Think about the appropriateness of
the same sentence in Appendix D.2.

XLink 1.1
See also http://www.w3.org/XML/Group/Core#xlink1.1

The XLink 1.1 Last Call has been published at

The LC review period ended 16 May 2008.

Norm has prepared a DoC at

ACTION to Norm:  Update the DoC.

ACTION to Norm:  Update XLink 1.1 to refer to the LEIRI note.

There's an open question about whether the XSD/DTD
should default the xlink:type attribute value.
None of this effects our last call because the
XSD/DTD are not normative.

ACTION to Henry, John:  Produce a basic level
conformance XSD and RelaxNG schema for XLink.

We plan to skip CR and going directly to PR.

Paul drafted a PR transition request at

The Implementation Report at
is pitiful.  We'll need to augment this to be able to request PR.

Simon Cox, on behalf of the Open Geospatial Consortium, has
asked some questions about the XLink 1.1 XML Schema:
and ht replied:

We did not get to this topic--Paul sent email at
to (try to) start more discussion.

XInclude 3rd Edition PER
See also http://www.w3.org/XML/Group/Core#xinclude

XInclude 2nd Edition is at:

ACTION to Daniel: Produce a PER-ready draft of XInclude 3rd Ed
with appropriate references to the IRI RFC for LEIRIs.

Associating Stylesheets
See also http://www.w3.org/XML/Group/Core#assoc-ss

Associating stylesheets with XML version 1.0 is at:

The Errata document is at:

Simon has requested we consider revisions; see his email at
and his suggested draft at

See also Simon's email at
outlining various issues.

Paul sent email giving Arbortext's behavior and other comments at

ACTION to Henry:  Determine Saxon behavior in various erroneous cases
and reply to Simon's email with results and suggested resolutions.

ACTION to Paul:  After receiving Henry's email, send email with
a concrete set of suggested revisions to the Assoc SS spec.