W3C home > Mailing lists > Public > public-xml-core-wg@w3.org > September 2008

Minutes for XML Core WG telcon of 2008 September 10

From: Grosso, Paul <pgrosso@ptc.com>
Date: Wed, 10 Sep 2008 12:01:58 -0400
Message-ID: <CF83BAA719FD2C439D25CBB1C9D1D3020CA32452@HQ-MAIL4.ptcnet.ptc.com>
To: <public-xml-core-wg@w3.org>


Attendees
---------
Glenn
Paul 
Richard
Henry

[4 organizations (5 with proxies) present out of 9]

Regrets
------- 
Daniel, proxy to the chair
Norm
Konrad

Absent organizations
--------------------
A-SIT (with regrets)
Google
MarkLogic (with regrets)
Daniel Veillard (with regrets, proxy to the chair)
François Yergeau

Regrets from Henry, Norm for September 24

> 1. Accepting the minutes from the last telcon [3] and
>    the current task status [2] (have any questions, comments,
>    or corrections ready by the beginning of the call).

Accepted

> 
> 2. Miscellaneous administrivia and document reviews.
> 
> October Technical Plenary
> -------------------------
> The next Technical Plenary is scheduled for October in Cannes:
> http://www.w3.org/2008/10/TPAC/Overview.html
> 
> The XML Core WG will not be holding a f2f at TPAC.
> 
> ---
> 
> Henry raised an issue concerning XPath2 fn:id() at
> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-xml-core-wg/2008Sep/0002 ff
> 

Henry asks that the XML Core WG endorses his comment
requesting the fn:id() be fixed.

Norm and John (not on the call) had agreed in email.

CONSENSUS to endorse Henry's comment.

ACTION to Paul:  Send email for the WG endorsing Henry's
comment about XPath2 fn:id().

> 
> 3.  XML 1.0
> 
> See also http://www.w3.org/XML/Group/Core#xml-errata
> 
> The XML 1.0 5th Edition PER has been published at
>  http://www.w3.org/TR/2008/PER-xml-20080205/
> 
> The PER period ended 16 May 2008. 
> 
> We need to have at least three implementations that 
> pass the test suite for each of the errata that have 
> been newly applied to the 5th Edition. 
> 
> A preliminary implementation report is at
> http://www.w3.org/XML/2008/01/xml10-5e-implementation
> 
> We appear to have three implementations of XML 1.0 5th 
> Edition.  Henry is working on next steps.
> 
> ACTION to Henry:  Work on taking XML 1.0 5th Edition
> to Recommendation.

Henry sent a status summary email at
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-xml-core-wg/2008Sep/0011

Henry has started a DoC at
http://www.w3.org/XML/Group/2008/09/xml-5e/disposition.html

ACTION to Henry:  Send email to Francois asking his opinion
on the Unicode issues raised in AC comments outlined in
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-xml-core-wg/2008Sep/0011

ACTION to Henry:  Take charge of adding a sentence to the
para in the SoTD addressing issue ac-2 and issue vanderVlist-1.

ACTION to Henry:  Add rationales to the XML 1.0 Errata document
(addressing issue kesselman-1).

ACTION to Henry:  Draft a response to all the process complaints.

> 
> 4.  XML Test Suite.
> 
> See also http://www.w3.org/XML/Group/Core#xml-test-suite
> 
> Henry/Richard discussed some test suite issues raised by 
> Frans Englich:
> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-xml-testsuite/2007Mar/ 
> 
> ACTION to Richard:  Construct a test case for the XML test suite 
> issues raised by Frans Englich:
> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-xml-testsuite/2007Mar/ 
> 
> 
> 5.  Namespaces in XML 1.0/1.1
> 
> See also http://www.w3.org/XML/Group/Core#ns1.0 and
> http://www.w3.org/XML/Group/Core#ns1.1.
> 
> Richard has partially updated the NS PE doc at
> http://www.w3.org/XML/Group/2001/05/proposed-xml-names-errata.html
> 
> NPE27, 28, and 30 are in countdown until this week's telcon.

CONSENSUS to approve NPE 27, 28, and 30.

ACTION to Richard:  Update the NPE and Errata documents to 
reflect the latest status of NPE 27, 28, and 30.

> 
> ACTION to Richard:  Fill in a proposed resolution for NPE29.

ACTION to Richard.

> 
> We have an open issue about if/how to add a namespace undeclaring
> capability that can be used with XML 1.0.
> 
> Henry suggested we apply the URI -> IRI erratum to NS 1.0
> and take that to PER and ask for opinions about what to do
> about undeclaring.
> 
> Paul started a thread (imported from www-tag) about whether
> NS 1.0 should allow IRIs (or LEIRIs?) as namespace names:
> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-xml-core-wg/2008Aug/0005
> 
> John sent email asking the I18N Core how they feel about
> changing NS1.0 to allow IRIs (instead of just URIs) for
> namespace names:
> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-international/2008JulSep/0049
> And there was some email discussion--see
> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-international/2008JulSep/thread.html#msg49
> 
> 
> 6.  LEIRIs
> 
> See also http://www.w3.org/XML/Group/Core#leiri
> 
> A summary of what specs need to be revised to reference LEIRIs is at
> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-xml-core-wg/2007Dec/0045
> 
> Martin's has made a new latest version available at 
> http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-duerst-iri-bis-04
> 
> Martin has asked us to review it and supply tests; see:
> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-xml-core-wg/2008Aug/0002
> 
> Addison Phillips of I18N Core recommends we consider publishing 
> LEIRIs as a WG Note; see
> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-xml-core-wg/2008Aug/0004

Henry now feels we should publish a WG Note defining LEIRIs.

No action was assigned, but we should pick this up next telcon.

> 
> 7.  XML Base 2nd Edition 2nd PER
> 
> See also http://www.w3.org/XML/Group/Core#xml-base
> 
> The (second) XML Base (Second Edition) PER has been published at
> http://www.w3.org/TR/2008/PER-xmlbase-20080320/
> and announced at
> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Member/chairs/2008JanMar/0112
> 
> The XML Base PER review period ended 30 June 2008.

> Richard's latest draft as of 2008 August 27 is at
> http://www.w3.org/XML/Group/2006/09/xmlbase-2e/

Richard developed an initial draft DoC document for XML Base at
http://www.w3.org/XML/Group/2008/09/xmlbase-2e/disposition.html

Paul and Richard are working at getting the DoC finalized.

> We noted that the XHMTL WG raised a question about process at
> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-xml-linking-comments/2008AprJun/0012
> saying:
> 
>  We are not convinced that the proposed changes fall
>  within the process guidelines of what new features
>  may be added to a recommendation.
> 
> ACTION to Henry:  Check with W3M about whether there is 
> any process concern with our XML Base PER.

ACTION cancelled.

ACTION to Paul:  Reply to
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-xml-linking-comments/2008AprJun/0012
explaining that there is no substantive change.

> 
> 8.  XLink 1.1.
> 
> See also http://www.w3.org/XML/Group/Core#xlink1.1
> 
> The earlier XLink CR was published at
> http://www.w3.org/TR/2006/CR-xlink11-20060328/ 
> 
> The XLink 1.1 LC was published at
> http://www.w3.org/TR/2008/WD-xlink11-20080331/
> 
> The LC review period ended 16 May 2008.
> 
> Norm has prepared a DoC at 
> http://www.w3.org/XML/2008/05/xlinklc/
> 
> ACTION to Henry:  Continue to get the XSD for
> XLink at an accessible URI.
> 
> There's an open question about whether the XSD/DTD 
> should default the xlink:type attribute value. 
> None of this effects our last call because the
> XSD/DTD are not normative.
> 
> John asked whether we should have two schemas, one for
> each of our conformance levels.
> 
> ACTION to Henry, John:  Think about having a basic level
> conformance XSD for XLink.
> 
> Paul asks us to consider skipping CR and going directly to PR.
> 
> ACTION to Henry:  Review the history and make a recommendation
> as to whether we should skip CR and go directly to PR.
> 
> 
> 9.  XInclude 3rd Edition
> 
> See also http://www.w3.org/XML/Group/Core#xinclude
> 
> XInclude 2nd Edition is at:
> http://www.w3.org/TR/2006/REC-xinclude-20061115
> 
> See http://www.w3.org/XML/Group/Core#xinclude for
> LEIRI-related changes for the 3rd Edition.
> 
> ACTION to Daniel: Produce a PER-ready draft of XInclude 3rd Ed
> with appropriate references to the IRI RFC for LEIRIs.
> 
> 
> [1] http://www.w3.org/XML/Group/Core
> [2] http://www.w3.org/XML/Group/Core#tasks
> [3] 
> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-xml-core-wg/2008Aug/0034
> 
> 
> 
Received on Wednesday, 10 September 2008 16:03:06 UTC

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.3.1 : Tuesday, 6 January 2015 21:16:39 UTC