Re: XML Core WG Status and Open Actions as of 2007 October 29

From: Richard Tobin <richard@inf.ed.ac.uk>
Date: Wed, 31 Oct 2007 12:23:15 +0000 (GMT)
To: "Grosso, Paul" <pgrosso@ptc.com>, <public-xml-core-wg@w3.org>

> Martin recently replied at
> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-xml-core-wg/2007Oct/0009
> pointing to a new IRI draft at
> http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-duerst-iri-bis-01.txt
> that contains a first pass defining LEIRIs.
>
> ACTION to Henry, Richard:  Review Martin's draft LEIRI text and
> send email to the XML Core mailing list by November 2.

I have compared Martin's text with our earlier discussions, and it
seems to match with one exception: he excludes all of FFF0-FFFF,
instead of just FFFE and FFFF.  He has a note "U+FFF0-FFFF: TODO:
Check, give these a name, and explain".

I'm not sure what the issue is with these characters, but to achieve
our aim of not making a normative change to XML (etc), we need to
allow FFF0-FFFD, no matter how stupid they are.

If we resolve this point, I think we could abandon our own efforts and
refer to LEIRIs in our specs.

-- Richard