Re: Proposed resolution of HRRI/IRI discussion

From: Martin Duerst <duerst@it.aoyama.ac.jp>
Date: Tue, 06 Nov 2007 18:38:09 +0900
To: Richard Tobin <richard@inf.ed.ac.uk>, Konrad Lanz <Konrad.Lanz@iaik.tugraz.at>
Cc: Richard Tobin <richard@inf.ed.ac.uk>, "Grosso, Paul" <pgrosso@ptc.com>, Richard Ishida <ishida@w3.org>, public-i18n-core@w3.org, public-xml-core-wg@w3.org, public-iri@w3.org

I think one additional argument for not including '[' and ']'
in escaping when going from Legacy Extended IRIs to IRIs is
that for all the other characters, this can be done independent
of syntax details, but for '[' and ']', it would have to be
done in a context-dependent manner, because clearly these
characters must not be escaped when they serve as delimiters
for IPv6 addresses.

Regards,    Martin.