XML Core WG Status and Open Actions as of 2007 June 25

From: Grosso, Paul <pgrosso@ptc.com>
Date: Mon, 25 Jun 2007 11:23:22 -0400
To: <public-xml-core-wg@w3.org>

The XML Core WG telcons are every other week,
but we have cancelled the telcon of July 4.

Therefore, our next telcon will be July 18.

Status and open actions

XML clarification
Norm sent email about < in attribute values at

Glenn's proposed wording is at
and slightly modified by

ACTION to Francois:  Add this to the PE document for countdown.

C14N 1.1
The C14N 1.1 Candidate Recommendation is published at

Konrad had pointed out some issues with Appendix A at

ACTION to Konrad:  Send email to the XML Core list with the latest
suggested updated version of Appendix A and examples.

The latest HRRI draft was published as an ID on May 14 at

We are going through Martin's comments.  Recent emails include:
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-xml-core-wg/2007Jun/0044 - 47

The last four (0044-0047) are from Martin and to date have had
no responses.  What with emails all over each containing a
different set of multiple comments, I'm not sure how to come
to closure, but I urge those with input to continue the email

Martin had also sent
which most of us had never seen, so we need to review that.

ACTION to Richard:  Review Martin's message and post to
the WG list.

XML 1.0/1.1
ACTION to Francois:  Update the PE document per previous
telcons' decisions.

On PE 157, John sent email at
with his suggested response and a question for the WG:

> Should we add specific references to UTF-16BE, UTF-16LE, CESU-8,
> etc. etc. to 4.3.3?  If so, we might as well remove "We consider the
> first case first" from Appendix F; it's more than obvious.

We agreed that, according to the spec, such a character is not a BOM.

We have decided that John's email should be sent to the commentor
as a response (done, see [11]), and that the only change resulting from
this PE are some editorial changes as outlined in John's email at

ACTION to Francois:  Update the PE document with John's editorial
changes as the proposed resolution to PE 157.

[11] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/xml-editor/2006OctDec/0010

John sent email about a new PE related to UTF-8 BOM at
proposing the following language as a new paragraph in 4.3.3
for both XML 1.0 and XML 1.1:

	If the replacement text of an external entity is to
	begin with the character U+FEFF, and no text declaration
	is present, then a Byte Order Mark MUST be present,
	whether the entity is encoded in UTF-8 or UTF-16.

ACTION to Francois:  Add a new PE per John's comments above
and make some suggested resolution wording.