Agenda for XML Core WG telcon of 2007 January 31

From: Grosso, Paul <pgrosso@ptc.com>
Date: Mon, 29 Jan 2007 10:40:10 -0500
To: <public-xml-core-wg@w3.org>

We have an XML Core WG phone call scheduled for Wednesday,
January 31, from
          08:00-09:00 Pacific time aka
          11:00-12:00 Eastern time aka
          16:00-17:00 UTC
          16:00-17:00 in Ireland and the UK
          17:00-18:00 in middle (most of) Europe
          21:30-22:30 in most of India
on the Zakim W3C Bridge, +1 617 761 6200, passcode 9652#.
We also use IRC channel #xmlcore on irc.w3.org:6665 .

See the XML Core group page [1] for pointers to current documents
and other information.  If you have additions to the agenda, please
email them to the WG list before the start of the telcon.

Please also review our group page's task list [2] for accuracy and
completeness and be prepared to amend if necessary and accept it
at the beginning of the call.

1. Accepting the minutes from the last (Dec 20) telcon [3] and
   the current task status [2] (have any questions, comments,
   or corrections ready by the beginning of the call).

2. Miscellaneous administrivia and document reviews.

The QA working group asked Ian Hickson of the Web Application
Formats WG to request that the XML Core working group review
the XBL2 specification that is currently in Last Call:

Editor's copy (more up to date)
Snapshot for TR page (last call version; outdated)

fwiw, here are a few reviews/notes one might want to
read for some other XML Activity members' thoughts:

ACTION to Norm:  Review this WD.

Issue on attribute canonicalization raised by Norm at
and by Eric Prud'hommeaux at

We figure if this is RDF's way to quote attributes,
it's fine with us, as it's RDF-specific.

ACTION to Norm:  Reply to Eric with this and see if we've
misunderstood something.

3.  C14N

The C14N 1.1 Last Call working draft is published at

Known Issues with Canonical XML 1.0 (C14N/1.0) WG Note
has been published at

Using XML Digital Signatures in the 2006 XML Environment
WG Note has been published at

Konrad raised an issue about Exclusive XML Canonicalization at

We need to take a closer look at this to see what if anything
we want to do about this. Perhaps it's just something to send
to the XML Security WG when they start up next year.

4.  xml:base, [baseURI], and IRIs.

The (Second Edition) PER has been published at

Henry reported some feedback at

ACTION to Henry:  Initiate email discussion of this issue by
suggesting a possible response.

5.  XLink update.

The XLink CR was published at

The latest almost PR-ready XLink draft is at

Norm posted a DoC at

ACTION to Norm:  Follow up in email on:
XLink conformance criteria question, Boris Zbarsky

ACTION to Norm:  Post to the WG mailing list something to
show that any valid XLink 1.1 document can be programmatically
converted into an equivalent XLink 1.0 document.

ACTION to Norm:  Provide a few more tests for the test suite.

Paul wrote a SECOND draft PR request at

ACTION to Norm:  Complete resolution of DoC.

ACTION to WG (need volunteer):  Update the Implementation Report.

ACTION to Norm:  Produce PR-ready draft.

ACTION to Norm:  Produce diff/review version.

6. XML 1.0/1.1 4th/2nd Editions published 2006 August 16:

 Extensible Markup Language (XML) 1.0 (Fourth Edition)

 Extensible Markup Language (XML) 1.1 (Second Edition)

ACTION to Francois:  Update the PE document per previous
telcons' decisions.

On PE 157, John sent email at
with his suggested response and a question for the WG:

> Should we add specific references to UTF-16BE, UTF-16LE, CESU-8,
> etc. etc. to 4.3.3?  If so, we might as well remove "We consider the
> first case first" from Appendix F; it's more than obvious.

We agreed that, according to the spec, such a character is not a BOM.

We have decided that John's email should be sent to the commentor
as a response (done, see [11]), and that the only change resulting from
this PE are some editorial changes as outlined in John's email at

ACTION to Francois:  Update the PE document with John's editorial
changes as the proposed resolution to PE 157.

[11] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/xml-editor/2006OctDec/0010

John sent email about a new PE related to UTF-8 BOM at
proposing the following language as a new paragraph in 4.3.3
for both XML 1.0 and XML 1.1:

	If the replacement text of an external entity is to
	begin with the character U+FEFF, and no text declaration
	is present, then a Byte Order Mark MUST be present,
	whether the entity is encoded in UTF-8 or UTF-16.

7. Namespaces in XML 1.0/1.1 2nd Editions published 2006 August 16:

 Namespaces in XML 1.0 (Second Edition)

 Namespaces in XML 1.1 (Second Edition)

Richard has recorded Anne's issue/proposed resolution at

8.  XInclude 1.0 Second Edition has been published:

9.  Associating stylesheets--awaiting TAG action.

Henry reports that the HTML CG has been discussing this
for a while.  They are developing a draft statement of
the issue, and Chris Lilley will raise this at the XML CG.

Chris started the discussion on the XML CG list--see
The XML CG will continue to discuss it for a while.

10.  Henry raises that RFC 3023 is out of date and the draft
replacement has expired.

Chris has gotten the source and made the changes.

There is a draft at
that can be reviewed now with comments sent to the XML Core
mailing list and/or Chris Lilley.

Paul sent some comments on 3023bis to the XML CG at

Henry says Chris is going to take the XML CG input outlined at
and produce another draft.

We will now await a new draft from Chris.

When 3023bis becomes a reality, we might have some
specs that need updating for the reference, but we
don't expect any major changes.

[1] http://www.w3.org/XML/Group/Core
[2] http://www.w3.org/XML/Group/Core#tasks
[3] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-xml-core-wg/2006Dec/0055