XML Core WG Status and Open Actions as of 2006 November 13

The XML Core WG telcons are every other week.

Our next telcon will be November 22nd.

Status and open actions
=======================

XBL2 Review
-----------
http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/~checkout~/2006/xbl2/Overview.html?content-type
=text/html
Editor's copy (more up to date)

http://www.w3.org/TR/2006/WD-xbl-20060907/
Snapshot for TR page (last call version; outdated)

fwiw, here are a few reviews/notes one might want to
read for some other XML Activity members' thoughts:

http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Member/w3c-xml-cg/2006Sep/0002
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Member/w3c-xml-cg/2006Sep/0012

ACTION to Norm:  Review this WD.

attribute canonicalization
--------------------------
Issue on attribute canonicalization raised by Norm at
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-xml-core-wg/2006Oct/0020
and by Eric Prud'hommeaux at
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-xml-core-wg/2006Oct/0019

We figure if this is RDF's way to quote attributes,
it's fine with us, as it's RDF-specific.

ACTION to Norm:  Reply to Eric with this and see if we've
misunderstood something.

C14N
----
The latest C14N 1.1 editors draft is at
http://www.w3.org/XML/Group/2006/10/WD-xml-c14n11.html

Konrad sent in some editorial comments at
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-xml-core-wg/2006Nov/0005

ACTION to Glenn:  Make the editorial changes unless there are problems.

We plan to approve C14N 1.1 for LC publication at our next telcon and
then publish the LC in mid-December in concert with the XML Base PER.

Jose suggested we republish the two WG Notes at the same time.
We forsee no changes to them except some references to new versions
of C14N 1.1 and XML Base.

ACTION to Jose and Thomas:  Prepare updated drafts of the two Notes.

XML Base
--------
The latest draft is at
http://www.w3.org/XML/Group/2006/09/xmlbase-2e/
and a draft of the errata page is at
http://www.w3.org/XML/Group/2006/09/xmlbase-2e/xmlbase-errata

ACTION to Richard and Henry:  Make the draft and updated errata
public and announce to chairs and xml-dev, etc. as appropriate.

We will plan to go to PER in mid-December.

XLink
-----
The XLink CR was published at
http://www.w3.org/TR/2006/CR-xlink11-20060328/

Paul wrote a draft PR request at
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-xml-core-wg/2006Jul/0001

Norm posted a DoC at
http://www.w3.org/XML/Group/2006/10/xlink11-doc.html

ACTION to Norm:  Update the DoC to remove the two non-XLink
comments.

ACTION to Norm:  Follow up in email on:
XLink conformance criteria question, Boris Zbarsky

ACTION to Norm:  Post to the WG mailing list something to
show that any valid XLink 1.1 document can be programmatically
converted into an equivalent XLink 1.0 document.

ACTION to Norm:  Provide a few more tests for the test suite.

The old version XLink in section 5.5, we talk about values
of href attributes.  In the new version, we talk about IRIs
and XML Resource Identifiers and other ways of encoding.  So
it's unclear now what to do about spaces in href attributes.
Norm thinks instead of spaces, we should now say non-URI
characters.

ACTION to Norm:  Make a suggestion how best to fix this.

Also, nowhere do we say that conversion from an XML Resource
Identifier to an IRI must occur as late as possible.
Suggested new wording:

 If required, the IRI reference resulting from converting
 an XML Resource Identifier can be converted to a
 URI reference by following the prescriptions of
 Section 3.1 of [RFC 3987].

 The conversion from an XML Resource Identifiers to an
 IRI must be performed only when absolutely necessary and
 as late as possible in a processing chain.  In particular,
 neither the process of converting a relative XML Resource
 Identifier to an absolute one nor the process of passing
 an XML Resource Identifier to a process or software component
 responsible for dereferencing it should trigger escaping.

ACTION to Norm:  Implement the new wording in XLink 1.1.

XML 1.0/1.1
-----------
ACTION to Francois:  Update the PE document per recent telcon
decisions.

> On PE 157, John sent email at
> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-xml-core-wg/2006Oct/0036
> with his suggested response and a question for the WG:
>
> > Should we add specific references to UTF-16BE, UTF-16LE, CESU-8,
> > etc. etc. to 4.3.3?  If so, we might as well remove "We consider the
> > first case first" from Appendix F; it's more than obvious.

We agreed that, according to the spec, such a character is not a BOM.

Henry suggested we should provide an explanation, but he's not sure
if it should go in the spec or just to the commentor.

We will pick this back up later when John is on a call.

Namespaces 1.0/1.1
ACTION to Richard:  Record Anne's issue/proposed resolution
in the Namespace PE document.

XInclude PER
Henry et al. are in the process of publishing this.