Re: Canonicalization xml:base processing

From: Richard Tobin <richard@inf.ed.ac.uk>
Date: Tue, 30 May 2006 23:35:11 +0100 (BST)
To: Konrad Lanz <Konrad.Lanz@iaik.tugraz.at>, Richard Tobin <richard@inf.ed.ac.uk>
Cc: "Grosso, Paul" <pgrosso@ptc.com>, public-xml-core-wg@w3.org

We seem to be at cross-purposes here, let me try again:

> I'd say the algorithm in RFC 2396 section 5.2 is applied to all URIs not
> starting with a scheme.

Tha algorithm of 5.2 is applied to all URI references.  URI references
containing a scheme are handled in step 3: they are absolute and no
merging is done.  URI references with no scheme, authority or query,
and an empty path - that is, the empty string and bare fragments - are
handled in step 2: they are same-document references and the base
URI is not used.

So *if* the value of the xml:base attribute is always interpreted as a
URI reference, then in the case xml:base="" or xml:base="#fragment"
the base URI of the containing element is irrelevant, because such a
URI reference is always a same-document reference.  If we accept this,
then xml:base="" is a way to reset the base uri to that of the
document.

-- Richard