(unknown charset) Re: [Bjoern Hoehrmann] R

From: (unknown <cowan@ccil.org>
Date: Tue, 24 Jan 2006 22:28:27 -0500
To: (unknown charset) Richard Tobin <ric
Cc: (unknown charset) "Henry S. Thompson" <ht@inf.ed.ac.uk>, Fran├žois Yergeau <francois@yergeau.com>, public-xml-core-wg <public-x

Richard Tobin scripsit:

> It seems to me now that if normalization is going to be done, it
> should be done when the document when it is read in, not at random
> points later on.  And XML 1.1 says that input (from non-unicode
> sources) SHOULD be normalized.

What's meant is that the input SHOULD already be normalized by its
creator, not that the parser normalize it.  On the contrary, parsers
SHOULD check normalization, and MUST NOT do normalization themselves.
See http://www.w3.org/TR/xml11/#sec-normalization-checking .  A fortiori,
IRIs should be normalized by the creator, not the parser.

--
When I'm stuck in something boring              John Cowan
where reading would be impossible or            (who loves Asimov too)