Minutes for XML Core WG telcon of 2006 January 25

Attendees
---------
 Paul
 Ravi, CDAC (on IRC)
 Glenn
 Norm
 Leonid
 Henry
 Richard
 Daniel (on IRC)

[5 organizations (6 with proxies) present out of 10]

Regrets
-------
Daniel (proxy to the chair)

Absent organizations
--------------------
John Cowan
Lew Shannon
François Yergeau

> Agenda
> ======
> 1. Accepting the minutes from the last telcon [3] and
>    the current task status [2] (have any questions, comments,
>    or corrections ready by the beginning of the call).

Accepted.

> [...]
>
> We are planning a f2f at the Technical Plenary 27 Feb-3 March 2006
> in Cannes, France.  The XML Core WG is currently scheduled to
> meet Thursday and Friday, March 2-3 of that week.
>
> TP2006 registration is open until 17 February 2006:
>     http://www.w3.org/2002/09/wbs/35125/TP2006/
> The TP Week overview page is at
>     http://www.w3.org/2005/12/allgroupoverview.html
>
> Expected:  Paul, Norm, Daniel, Richard, Philippe
>

> 2b.  IRI wording in xml:base et al.
>
> Chris Lilley asks about xml:base and IRI:
> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-xml-core-wg/2005Oct/0004
>
> Norm thinks we should change the bib ref from 2986
> to 3986.  Section 3.1 should say any xml:base should
> first have spaces escaped to %20 and then have the
> IRI changed to a URI per 3987.
>
> We should have uniform language for XLink 1.1, XLink 1.0,
> xml:base, xinclude, XML 1.0, and XML 1.1 (as errata for
> all but XLink 1.1).
>
> There is some question as to whether we should bother to
> make an erratum for XLink 1.0, but we did not resolve this.
>
> We basically want to put the text that is in XLink 1.1 into
> the other specs.
>
> We talked about pulling the necessary wording into a normative
> appendix in XML 1.0 3rd Ed and XML 1.1 (as errata in both cases).
> Then we could reference that appendix in xml:base, XInclude, etc.
>
> We also said we could just make it section 4.2.3.  As long as it
> is referenceable by other specs.
>
> Francois sent updated suggestions at
> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-xml-core-wg/2006Jan/0016
> (ignore the "System identifiers (and other XML strings..."
> sentence at the beginning.)
>

> This will go into XLink 1.1 as a separate section.
> Then we can do it as an erratum for XML 1.0 and 1.1.
> Then we would produce XML 1.0 4th Ed and 1.1 2nd Ed.
> XInclude and xml:base (and probably NS 1.1) we do
> errata pointing them to the new editions of XML or
> if we're in a bigger hurry, errata quoting the whole
> text.  (We don't want to point the lower specs to XLink.)
>
> ACTION to Richard:  Look at this wrt putting into NS 1.1.
>
> We do have a suggestion from Murata-san at
> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/xml-names-editor/2005Dec/0000
> that we process such an erratum against NS 1.0.
>
> We're not sure what we think about this yet.
>

> 3.  XLink update.
>
> The LC WD of XLink 1.1 has been published:
> http://www.w3.org/TR/2005/WD-xlink11-20050707/
>
> We have comments at
> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-xml-linking-comments/2
> 005JulSep/
> and a DoC at
> http://www.w3.org/XML/2005/xlink11/lc-status/status-report.html
>
> Paul sent a draft CR request at
> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-xml-core-wg/2006Jan/0019
>
> Thread 19--Schema issues
> ------------------------
> Comments on the schema for xlink.
>
> ACTION to Henry [due Jan 25]:  Think about and reply to this one.

Henry thought about this and decided the commentor is wrong
and sent a reply.

However, the commentor didn't agree.

ACTION to Henry:  Reply one more time on this.

> We have taken care of all other issues, and we expect to
> vote to take XLink 1.1 to CR during this week's telcon.

We have quite a bit of pushback from commentors, so many
threads remain open, so we have to stall on going to CR.

> Norm has sent out the latest CR-ready draft at
> http://www.w3.org/XML/Group/2004/xmlcore/xlink11/
>
> ACTION to Henry:  Try to schedule an LC-to-CR transition
> call for Jan 27th (or 26th).  Norm prefers Friday afternoon
> due to his travel schedule.

Cancel this action, since we have too many open issues.

Re: XLink 1.1: Charmod conformance
----------------------------------
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-xml-linking-comments/2006JanMar/0048

Björn says XLink 1.1 should NFC-normalize IRIs.

Richard disagrees.  XML shouldn't do normalization, rather
the input should be normalized, and XML 1.1 processors should
complain if the input is not normalized.  Hence, XLink shouldn't
do any normalization.

ACTION to Richard:  Reply to the above message on the comments list.

XLink 1.1: Xlink vs "legacy" linking
------------------------------------
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-xml-linking-comments/2006JanMar/0050

Anne and Bjoern still think XLink should say something
about how XLink interacts with other linking elements.

CONSENSUS for Norm to add a SHOULD paragraph that other
specs using XLink should explain how other linking interacts.

The WG has consensus not to accept Anne's comment at
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-xml-linking-comments/2006JanMar/0051
beyond the para we'll add.

event handling of nested links
------------------------------
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-xml-linking-comments/2006JanMar/0058

Bjoern wants us to talk about DOM event bindings.

We have already refused to do so.

The WG has consensus not to accept Bjoern's comment at
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-xml-linking-comments/2006JanMar/0058

Security Considerations
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-xml-linking-comments/2006JanMar/0055
Bjoern wants a security section.

WG CONSENSUS to decline his suggestion once again.

ACTION to Paul:  Reply indicating the WG decision ending
with "do you wish for us to record your feelings on this
matter as an official objection when we go to CR?"

XML Base confusion
------------------
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-xml-linking-comments/2006JanMar/0056

We will add the Note suggested by Henry in the above.

ACTION to Paul:  Reply indicating the WG decision ending
with "do you wish for us to record your feelings on this
matter as an official objection when we go to CR?"

"URI reference" "checking"
--------------------------
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-xml-linking-comments/2006JanMar/0060

Norm will strike the "because it's impractical" wording
and replace it with a note that says checking isn't required.

The WG has CONSENSUS that we will not require URI checking.

ACTION to Henry:  Reply to Bjoern's message above, ending
with "do you wish for us to record your feelings on this
matter as an official objection when we go to CR?"

5.4 "URI reference" unclear
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-xml-linking-comments/2006JanMar/0064

The WG has CONSENSUS to stay with the term "relative URI".

"XML document" undefined
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-xml-linking-comments/2006JanMar/0067

We now think the issue is whether a linkbase can be
anything that can be converted into an infoset or
does it have to be an XML document.

ACTION to Norm:  Look at XInclude and make a suggestion.