Re: DRAFT#1 Transition Request: PER Request for XML Base Second Edition

From: Richard Tobin <richard@inf.ed.ac.uk>
Date: Thu, 7 Dec 2006 18:00:48 +0000 (GMT)
To: "Grosso, Paul" <pgrosso@ptc.com>, <public-xml-core-wg@w3.org>

> Here is my first draft PER requestion for XML Base Second Edition.

I have updated the version at

  http://www.w3.org/XML/Group/2006/09/xmlbase-2e/Overview.html

to be closer to publication-ready.  I removed the "what we plan to do"
section and added a "changes since the first edition" appendix.

> Also note the URLs of things I used in
> this draft as marked by ***.  The file at
> http://www.w3.org/XML/Group/2006/09/xmlbase-2e/Overview.html
> should be the non-diff-markup one, and the diff-markup one
> should be at
> http://www.w3.org/XML/Group/2006/09/xmlbase-2e/xmlbase-review.html
> or some such.

I used "Overview-review.html" but I can change that if appropriate.

>  Also take note of the text I suggest for the
> Status section below, though modify as you see fit and/or
> as dictated by pubrules.

I started on it before reading your mail, so I will reconsider it
tomorrow.

> Note that I opted to continue
> to refer to http://www.w3.org/2001/06/xmlbase-errata for
> ongoing XML Base errata.

I'm not sure why we would have a link to errata in a PER.  Obviously
we will need one in the Edited Recommendation but no-one should be
attempting to apply new errata to a PER.

> Finally, I didn't mention anything about known implementations
> or test suites, as I wasn't sure what to say here.  Ideas welcome.

It's hard to test XML Base, since there are no standard APIs for it
that I know of.  And applications that use XML Base won't resolve
the escaped / unescaped issue.  You could see what XSLT2's function
returns, but that is a rather limited test.

-- Richard