Re: Extend values of type ID

From: Elliotte Harold <elharo@metalab.unc.edu>
Date: Mon, 14 Feb 2005 12:25:02 -0500
To: Anne van Kesteren <fora@annevankesteren.nl>
CC: public-xml-core-wg@w3.org, public-xml-id@w3.org

Anne van Kesteren wrote:

> It would make much more sense, in my humble opinion, to make allow any
> character as value with a minimum length of 1 character. With the
> exclusion of some control characters I guess.

ID values are considered to be names. These are the same rules as for
XML names. Why it was decided to make them names instead of name tokens
I'm not sure. However, allowing arbitrary strings would cause lots of
problems with white space. many contexts in which IDs would be used
could not easily deal with values that contain white space, especially
after taking into account the baroque rules for attribute value
normalization. For instance, it would completely break IDREFS if IDs
could contain white space.