Extend values of type ID

From: Anne van Kesteren <fora@annevankesteren.nl>
Date: Mon, 14 Feb 2005 18:11:25 +0100
To: public-xml-core-wg@w3.org
CC: public-xml-id@w3.org

I'm not sure if this matters to xml:id, but I CC'ed public-xml-id just
in case.

I was wondering why values of type ID are so limited. They can only
start with a letter, ':' or '_' which does not really make sense.

Was this perhaps for compatibility with SGML?

It would make much more sense, in my humble opinion, to make allow any
character as value with a minimum length of 1 character. With the
exclusion of some control characters I guess.

Would that be possible?

PS: If someone replies to the message and does not CC public-xml-id
please do CC me.

--
  Anne van Kesteren
  <http://annevankesteren.nl/>