Minutes for XML Core WG telcon of 2004 October 13

From: Paul Grosso <pgrosso@arbortext.com>
Date: Wed, 13 Oct 2004 12:07:03 -0400
To: <public-xml-core-wg@w3.org>

 Richard xx:09
 John  xx:13

[8 organizations (8 with proxies) present out of 12]

Absent organizations
François Yergeau (with regrets)
Lew Shannon (with regrets)

> Agenda
> ======
> 1. Accepting the minutes from the last telcon [3] and
>    the current task status [2] (have any questions, comments,
>    or corrections ready by the beginning of the call).

> 2. Miscellaneous administrivia.
> The next W3C Technical Plenary Week will be 28 February 2005
> through 4 March 2005:
>      http://www.w3.org/2002/09/TPOverview.html
> The meeting will be held in the Hyatt Harborside, Boston:
>      http://harborside.hyatt.com/property/index.jhtml
> 3. Problem with xml:space in the Schema document for the XML namespace
> Masayasu Ishikawa <mimasa@w3.org> sent us email on this at:
> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-xml-core-wg/2004Jul/0019
> CONSENSUS to remove the default for xml:space from the schema
> for the xml namespace.
> ACTION to Henry:  Draft a new schema and send it to the XML Core list.

Henry's suggested new schema includes xml:id.  Are we anticipating
too much here?

Henry and DV think it's fine.  Norm too.

We will leave it for a week and see if we have any other comments.
> 4. XML errata.  The published 1.0 errata document is [8], the
>    published 1.1 errata document is [9], and the NEW PUBLIC
>    Potential Errata (PE) document is [7].
> Glenn has raised a question at
> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-xml-core-wg/2004Sep/0080
> about the wording for the ANY and mixed content models and whether
> they allow cdata sections and/or comments and PIs.
> All on the phone (and Francois in previous email) agree that we meant
> to allows cdata sections and PIs and comments in these models.
> ACTION to Glenn:  Propose corrected wording in email.

CONSENSUS to go with Glenn's words (with Paul's commas).

> ACTION to François:  Make this a PE.

ACTION to Francois:  Put Glenn's words into a 2 week countdown.

> 5. Namespaces in XML.
>   ACTION to Richard:  Produce a draft for NS1.0 2nd Ed.
> 6. Xinclude PR was published Sept 30 at:
>    http://www.w3.org/TR/2004/PR-xinclude-20040930/
>    and announced to the AC at
>    http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Member/w3c-ac-members/2004JulSep/0043
>    Please be sure your AC reps vote on it by October 29.
> Sandra has added ERH's test to the XInclude Test Suite.

Done per:

> Elliotte has another test to send us too.

ACTION to Paul:  Tell Elliotte to send the files to Sandra
(config file change as well as actual test files).

> 7. xml:id.
> Norm has collected the xml:id issues, now (public) at:
> http://www.w3.org/XML/2004/xml-id/wd-status/status-report.html
> ACTION to Norm:  Please add $Date $ to the CVS line at the top.

> The latest draft (2004 August 24) is at
> http://www.w3.org/XML/Group/2004/xmlcore/xmlid/xml-id.html
> ID Strictness
> -------------
> We have CONSENSUS on the following:
> * Processors MUST check that xml:id values are valid NCNames.
> * It is an xml:id error for xml:id values to not be unique.
> ACTION to Norm:  Produce another WG WD reflecting this and our
> other decisions.

ACTION continued.

> No mention of [references] Infoset property
> Conclusion:  We'd like a motherhood note that suggests that
> the [references] Infoset property should be correct for things
> recognized by xml:id.
> xml:id and fragment identifiers
> -------------------------------
> We have CONSENSUS that we don't need to say anything here.
> We could add another motherhood note here.

Comments on http://www.w3.org/TR/2004/WD-xml-id-20040407/
CONSENSUS: xml:id only works if you don't abuse colons wrt the
namespace spec.

Comments on initial draft of xml:id
CONSENSUS:  We will soften the language about using attribute
names other than xml:id as ids to be merely a suggestion to
improve interoperability.

ACTION to Norm:  Put some new language into the next WD.

When DTDs collide
xml:id will require that xml:id attr be declared as type id
and if they are not declared they will be coerced to type id.
If they are declared as a type other than id, that is an
xml:id error; the processor must, at user option, report
the error and leave the attribute typed as declared.

ACTION to Norm:  Point the RFC 3023-ng editors to the xml:id spec.

Multiple IDs per element in schemas 1.1
The xml:id spec doesn't say anything about multiple ids per element,
so this issue is up to the schema language.

Missing "else" in section 4.3
Norm expects to rewrite this part of the spec, so we will review
this thread after the rewrite.

XPath 2 without WXS (XSD)
CONSENSUS: Nothing to do to the xml:id spec.

ACTION to Henry:  Urge XSL WG to consider xml:id in XPath 2.0.

Feedback on XML id
Mostly editorial.  Norm will address in the next WD.

[QA Review] xml:id Version 1.0
Norm will review these comments.