Re: Non-XML binary formats.

That's great, what about:

ISO 8601 (calendar date reference)  108 CHF
http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/~mgk25/iso-time.html
http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/iso8601.html
http://www.iso.org/iso/en/prods-services/popstds/datesandtime.html

ISO 6903 (Real Decimal Spec)  67 CHF

ISO 2022 character encoding 142 CHF
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ISO_2022

ISO 10646 (UCS, directly related to Unicode) 110 CHF
http://www.nada.kth.se/i18n/ucs/unicode-iso10646-oview.html

I'm sure I missed a number of other references that are needed.
Pointers to free versions of those would be helpful.  What about a map
of dependent standards?

I tend to think that the encoding aspects of ASN.1 work should be
useful, but then I closely examine the encoding for reals and find that
it is not aligned with the current thinking of many that they want to
directly transport IEEE and other native formats in a reader-makes-right
fashion.

A different and more fundamental issue is that strong schema orientation
is no longer considered the only or necessarily the best way to work.  A
number of useful and highly desirable properties, including being able
to avoid schemas, have been derived from actual use cases.  These
requirements include many things that don't seem possible with ASN.1
related standards and technology, or with most other approaches.  It
makes sense to consider what solutions might answer a more broad set of
requirements and principles while learning everything possible from
existing methods.

sdw

--
swilliams@hpti.com http://www.hpti.com Per: sdw@lig.net http://sdw.st