Re: rel=CURIE in RDFa, but rel=URI in Link:

From: Julian Reschke <julian.reschke@gmx.de>
Date: Tue, 30 Sep 2008 12:12:21 +0200
To: Steven Pemberton <steven.pemberton@cwi.nl>
CC: Shane McCarron <shane@aptest.com>, Dan Connolly <connolly@w3.org>, "Henry S. Thompson" <ht@inf.ed.ac.uk>, Jonathan Rees <jar@creativecommons.org>, "www-tag@w3.org WG" <www-tag@w3.org>, XHTML WG <public-xhtml2@w3.org>

Steven Pemberton wrote:
>> I think it's an issue that needs to be discussed and resolved anyway.
>
> Well, as Shane suggests, that's what the hypertext coordination group
> (HCG) is there for. As Shane pointed out RDFa has gone through the W3C
> process, which includes announcing last call to the HCG, and making sure
> that groups register interest in commenting.

Understood.

In this case, I think this is a problem that was missed during last call.

Does that mean there's no way to change it, and HTML5 needs to either
adopt it or use a different notation?

> Well, RDFa is being implemented as we speak too. At least RDFa followed
> process and made sure that we had agreement on features before
> implementing them. Ignoring W3C process and then saying "it's
> implemented already, we can't change it now" is a guaranteed way to
> create this sort of problem.

I'm not going to defend the way the HTML WG does its work, as I happen
to agree with this one. The issue is that that point of view doesn't
help fixing the problem.

>> Which is great. I think that getting RDFa to work well in HTML4 is
>> very important; I'm personally looking forward to get HTML4 documents
>> including RDFa to successfully validate (even if I need to provide a
>> different doctype).
>
> In the meantime you can use the XHTML+RDFa doctype to get it to validate.

Understood, but not really helpful.

I personally like XHTML and use it everywhere where compatibility with
IE is a non-issue (such as an intermediate format, or when I really
don't care about IE users). But in the real world, people are stuck with
HTML, and thus it would be good to have a convincing RDFa-in-HTML story.
That would also help driving the HTML5 discussion.

BR, Julian