Re: "snapshot" XHTML DTD for all current modules?

olivier Thereaux wrote:

> On 6-May-08, at 1:53 AM, Shane McCarron wrote:
>>  There are LOTS of modules in the xhtml namespace, and many of them
>> conflict with one another.  So there would be no easy way to create a
>> DTD that contained all of the modules.
>
> Ah. I wasn't aware of conflicts between modules. Do you have examples
> handy?
Sure.   Tables, and Basic Tables.   Metaattributes from RDFa Syntax and
the meta attributes module from M12N 1.0.  XForms and Forms.  Forms and
Basic Forms.  There are probably more.

> Is there, today, a document type that at least allows me to use the
> features of ARIA, ITS, and RDFa?
>
> W3C should either provide a document type mixing most interesting
> features of XHTML, or add a conformance level where XHTML can be used
> without a doctype, using only the namespace.
I disagree strongly that you can use the namespace as a language
selector.  But I know others think that you can.  However, since that
namespace is used for XHTML 1, 1.1, Basic 1.0, XHTML+RDFa, etc..... I
don't see how you could possibly use the namespace to indicate the
markup language in use.  We have @version.  Use that.

> A situation where one MUST use a doctype but isn't provided with a
> doctype to use all cool features of XHTML is rather counter-productive
> for the adoption of XHTML and its features, don't you think?
Well.... None of the cool features you are referring to are actually at
REC status yet.  If they were, you can be confidenf we would also be
introducing a new markup language.