Re: "snapshot" XHTML DTD for all current modules?

Hi Shane,

On 6-May-08, at 1:53 AM, Shane McCarron wrote:
>  There are LOTS of modules in the xhtml namespace, and many of them
> conflict with one another.  So there would be no easy way to create
> a DTD that contained all of the modules.

Ah. I wasn't aware of conflicts between modules. Do you have examples
handy?

>  I think I would look for @version on the html element as a way of
> guessing which XHTML family markup language was in use.  If there
> was no @version, and no DOCTYPE..... I don't think I would try to
> guess.  Instead I would give the users a list of known XHTML Family
> Markup languages and let the pick.
>  Then, of course, provide a validation error because there MUST be a
> DOCTYPE declaration.

Is there, today, a document type that at least allows me to use the
features of ARIA, ITS, and RDFa?

W3C should either provide a document type mixing most interesting
features of XHTML, or add a conformance level where XHTML can be used
without a doctype, using only the namespace.

[ Given the need for a DOCTYPE declaration for browsers' standard mode
at present, I guess the market is currently biased toward the former,
but both would be useful ]

A situation where one MUST use a doctype but isn't provided with a
doctype to use all cool features of XHTML is rather counter-productive
for the adoption of XHTML and its features, don't you think?

Thanks,
--
olivier