@lang, @xml:lang, and media type text/html

From: Shane McCarron <shane@aptest.com>
Date: Sun, 30 Mar 2008 15:37:32 -0500
To: XHTML WG <public-xhtml2@w3.org>

In revising the XHTMLMIME document, I came across the following guideline:

    C.7. The |lang| and |xml:lang| Attributes

Use both the |lang| and |xml:lang| attributes when specifying the
language of an element. The value of the |xml:lang| attribute takes
precedence.

That's good advice, but unfortunately cannot apply to other XHTML family
documents.  We don't have @lang in XHTML Modularization.  We are in the
process of updating XHTML 1.1 and XHTML Basic 1.1 right now.  I am not
sure that we can re-introduce @lang.  However, if what we are trying to
do is ensure that when documents are written in XHTML Family markup
languages and are carefully constructed, then can be handed to HTML user
agents..... then we sort of need @lang back.

I am soooo open for better suggestions...